PDA

View Full Version : Can't Control Merge Module's Custom Action

bobinyec
12-23-2004, 11:39 AM
I want to use some merge modules to comprise a sub-feature which is installed only part of the time. The files are being installed or not installed correctly, but a particular custom action is executed always - whether its files have been installed or not. This custom action came from one of the merge modules. When I look at the merge module using IS 10.5, there are no install conditions for any of the custom actions and none of them appear in any of the sequences. After I build my MSI (incorporating the merge modules) and look at it, the custom actions have a condition of "Not Installed" and appear in the sequence. How did those get there? In this situation, the simple condition "Not Installed" should be ((Not Installed) AND (SOFTTYPE = "Client")), but there doesn't seem to be any way, using IS 10.5, to impose such a condition on the merge module (actually, its custom action).

How can I specify what conditions a merge module's custom action should be subject to? I really don't want to have to edit the output MSI by hand.

Thanks,

John Bobinyec

Paul M.
12-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Unfortunately if the MSM is not authored to know the state of the features for the custom actions then the only alternative is to edit it by hand.

bobinyec
01-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Apparently these merge modules are special. They allowed me to put them into the sequence explicitly, by selecting an action in the sequence, choosing insert, then choosing Merge Module Custom Actions in the Install Action window. I placed each custom action in the exact same spot that they default to. I put in the same Condition, but added my specific qualifiers, with AND.

So, the only thing that changed was the conditions, which allowed me to control these merge module custom actions.

Thanks,

John Bobinyec

chrisgg
07-27-2005, 05:21 PM
I think at the merge module level you would need to use component instead of feature conditions.