PDA

View Full Version : Merge Module Hiccups

Oysteinl
12-23-2004, 06:27 AM
Hi

First I must say that the new redistibutales view in installshield 10.5 is realy å step in the right direction, with options like download and a much better view of the contents in the module not to mention new modules and other options.

I am however experiencing some odd behaviour.

1.)First I am getting "Could not add Merge Module to project" messagebox when I try to add MDAC26.msm to the project.
Here is what I did:
- Downloaded MDAC26.msm (SP2) from the Installshield.
http://www.installshield.com/downloads/modules.asp?prod=wind&lan=english&xmlUse=y&print=yes
- Stored it along with the other merge modules I use in the project. (On a server)
- Choose "Browse for merge module" in the Redistibutalbes View at choose the module. Clicks OK.
- Then I get "Could not add Merge Module to project", (Se attachment- FailsToImportMergeModule.jpg)

?????

2.) Then i test one of the new options, atleast compared to Installshield Developer 8, "Download selected Item".
- I download the module (MDAC26.msm), and everything suddenly works perfectly. (The module was downloaded to: "C:\Program Files\InstallShield 10.5\Objects")

OK - -> It works....

3.) But being av bit bold I copy the merge module to a server folder where I keep all the merge modules for all my proejcts stored. (So that I can move the projects around, not having to worry about the shared modules.)

- Go back to the "Redisitbutales View" and turns off the MDAC2.6 (Uncheck)
- Chooses "Browse for merge module", goes to the server where i copied the merge module I downloaded in step 2.) above.
- Selects the Merge Module and get a new messagebox stating that the module that Installshield 10.5 downloaded and who worked in step two is an old version, and I get the option of downloading it again (See Attachment - NewerVersion.jpg)???

All In al..l the download mehanism works, but I an robbed of the option to have the merge modules stored in alternative folders or am I doing something wrong?

Paul M.
12-29-2004, 11:40 AM
From the sounds of what you are trying to do it would sound like you are tryign to use a network repository. I would recommend looking at this help article for more information. http://helpnet.installshield.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?tpc=/robo/projects/installshield10-5helplib/Repositories.htm

Oysteinl
01-03-2005, 07:51 AM
Thanks

I just wanted to collect my all merge modules in a folder on a in-house server, instead of from a local path. To share them accross my projects, so a repository will be a bit more then I actually need.

But I if just change the path to where I want to look for merge modules under "Tools-Options-Merge Modules" and adjust the path to my server (\\server\Installshield\MergeModules) it will be sufficient for me.