PDA

View Full Version : installing with .NET Framework?

sagmam
12-23-2004, 03:44 AM
Hi all,
I'm using InstallShield 10.5, and my target machine is WinXPsp1.

I've just created an empty setup, and checked the ".NET Framework" option in the Release Wizard (.NET Framework 1.1).
I tried to build, but it failed, claiming that .NET Framework reditributables were missing. I downloaded .NET Framwork 1.1 English, and .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 English and tried to build again. This time it failed because it couldn't find the SP1 redistributable: 1033dotnetfxsp1.exe. It turned out that what I downloaded was dotnetfxsp1.exe, and had to be renamed.
Finally, the build was successful, but then, when I launched the installation and clicked "yes" to install .NET Framework, the installation hang!
It only continued if I clicked NO (I had to install .NET Framework manually before launching my setup).
Anybody got this behavior?
Also, the prompt to install .NET framework says that "this setup can OPTIONALLY install .NET Framework", but in my case, it's not optional. How can I cause my setup to install .NET without this prompt (and without getting stuck...)?

Thanks.

MichaelU
12-23-2004, 12:03 PM
First off, please install Service Pack 1 for InstallShield 10.5; it resolves the hanging behavior we've seen on .NET install. Secondly, dotnetfxSP1.exe and 1033dotnetfxSP1.exe are not the same - the former is the one for XP and similar systems, while the latter is for 2003 systems (which came with .NET 1.1 preinstalled). I'd suggest unrenaming it, and downloading the DotNet 1.1 SP1 for Windows 2003 English.

For the "optional" dialog, you can edit that in the properties of your release, under Media > Releases (then select your release) on the Installation Designer view. Look for the option "Display .NET Option Dialog".

sagmam
12-26-2004, 03:34 AM
Hi,
I've downloaded IS10.5sp1 and redownloaded the following packs using the Redist Downloader:
1. .NET Framework 1.1 English
2. .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 for pre-2003 (no language specified)
3. .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 English for Win2003

I actually need only 1 and 2 (I think), but I downloaded everything just in case. The hanging problem at the beginning of the .NET setup was truly fixed.

BUT: now Setup "hangs" for about 3 minutes AFTER the .NET Setup completes (I still see the "Configuring .NET Framework" progress bar at 100% during this time). I've checked with Task Manager and there are all kinds of processes running and doing stuff during these 3 minutes. I couldn't quite get their names in time...

Finally, after 3 minutes, my own SdWelcome dialog appears and everything continues as usual. Is there a way to solve this, or at least change the text that appears in this initial dialog (before the welcome dialog), so that I could tell the users to be patient? Btw, the project is an InstallScript MSI project.

Thanks...

MichaelU
12-28-2004, 11:09 AM
I believe that delay comes from its installation of SP1, which unfortunately takes quite some time without new and user-distracting feedback.

sagmam
12-28-2004, 11:34 AM
I believe that delay comes from its installation of SP1, which unfortunately takes quite some time without new and user-distracting feedback.

Yes, you are correct. Task Manager does confirm this. I contacted InstallShield about this and apparently, there's no solution in the current ISDEV10.5sp1, except installing .NET via the web (which takes even longer...) or launch it using some custom action (doesn't work from an InstallScript MSI project!). They claim it cannot be launched from ISScript without some extensive workarounds, but I didn't receive any explanation. However, I believe I saw people talk about this in the community and there may be a way to do it from ISScript.

emcknight
12-29-2004, 11:06 AM
For the following post:

"For the "optional" dialog, you can edit that in the properties of your release, under Media > Releases (then select your release) on the Installation Designer view. Look for the option "Display .NET Option Dialog"."

Is there any way to do this using the ISWiRelease object with script?

MichaelU
12-29-2004, 12:08 PM
The closest I see is the property DotNetOptionalIfSilent, which doesn't sound like what you're looking for. Perhaps you could submit a request for this to be exposed in the automation layer at http://www.installshield.com/feedback/ as it does look like an unintentional omission.

Fabio Pagano
03-10-2005, 11:39 AM
From
http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=114728&page=2&pp=5

====================
I have tried this, seems to work (not fully tested):

1. In "Customize Functionality / Setup files-Billboards / Language independent" i have put the "dotnetfx.exe" (.NET Framework 1.1. downloaded from MS site).

2. In "Installscript" i have added the following code in "OnFirstUIBEfore":

--------------------------------
function OnFirstUIBefore()

string svPath;

begin

svPath=SUPPORTDIR ^ "dotnetfx.exe";

LaunchAppAndWait(svPath, "/t:c:\\tmpnet /c", WAIT);

LaunchAppAndWait(SystemFolder ^ "msiexec.exe","/i c:\\tmpnet\\netfx.msi" ,WAIT);
--------------------------------

This code extracts the dotnetfx.exe content in "c:\tmpnet", then launches "msiexec.exe" passing the "c:\\tmpnet\\netfx.msi" as parameter.
===========================

dlphillips
07-13-2006, 08:10 PM
I am running an installation based on IS 10.5 SP1, using the option to install the .Net 1.1 Framework, which is encapsulated in the Setup.exe. It just plain does not work, and the problem is in the INstallShield Setup.exe wrapper.

When Setup.exe runs, the "Do you want to install the .Net 1.1 Framework" dialog is presented. When "Yes" is selected, the Dotnetfx.exe setup files are copied to the current installer temp folder in the users temp folder (e.g. "_is13"). Then, when the setup is launched, it throws an error (-2147287038 or 0x80030002, file not found "netfx.msi") because it is looking in another temp folder (e.g "IS14.TMP"), which is empty.