PDA

View Full Version : Strange behavior uninstalling installation patched with quick patch

vsinha
12-20-2004, 11:35 PM
Folks -

I am running into a strange situation. I have an installation, version 14.0, build using InstallShield 9 with Basic MSI project. I have built a simple quick patch with IS10.5 to upgrade a few files and the installation version to 14.0.1. This is a fairly simple desktop app.

Everything seems to work great until I uninstall the patched installation (version 1.0+quick patch) when somehow the network on the machine stops working. The uninstall does appear to have worked without any errors. On my XP test machine, I had to do a system restore to bring the network back to life. On the Win2k machine, I am yet to figure out how to get the network connectivity back.

I am able to successfully install and uninstall the original release 1.0 without killing the network connectivity. I have looked at all the log files (initial installation, patch application, uninstallation) and did not find anything alarming. The quick patch does not include any system files or registry changes of any sort.

I am sure it is something rather simple that my eyes are not seeing. Can anyone think of a reason why I might be experiencing this behavior? BTW - I have tried building the same quick patch with InstallShield DevStudio 9 and still get the same behavior.

Regards,
Vikas :confused:

vsinha
12-22-2004, 12:14 AM
I did registry dumps before and after the uninstall and found that all the subkeys under the following registry keys were being removed during the uninstall process:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]

I checked my original installer (ism project and the resulting msi file) and the quick patch project. I have no references to any of these keys or any TCPIP related component. So I am at a loss at this point in explaining why these keys get removed. Any thoughts anyone?