PDA

View Full Version : Installation size increased of 20 Mb. after .net 1.1 Sp1

Fabio Pagano
12-17-2004, 11:47 AM
My installation (compressed as a single exe) was about 100 Mb. (including .net Framework 1.1).

Now i have downloaded (Tools / Redistributable downloader) the .net framework sp1 and the compressed installation has become 120 Mb.

Is there a way to install .net framework 1.1 without sp1 so my compressed installation will decrease to 100 Mb. instead of 120 Mb.?

brian_c
12-18-2004, 03:30 AM
Is there a way to install .net framework 1.1 without sp1 so my compressed installation will decrease to 100 Mb. instead of 120 Mb.?As far as I know, there is no way to make this choice - in 10.5, when including the .NET Framework 1.1, you must include two Service Pack 1 files: the Windows 2003 version, and the non-Windows 2003 version. This adds about 18MB or so to the install compared to the days of InstallSheild X (which didn't include SP1). If there is a way to customize this choice, I haven't found it.

With that in mind, I'm sure some very convincing arguments could be made as to why you really should include the Service Pack. Also, if you want to keep the download size small, you could, I suppose, use the "Download from the Web" option for the .NET Framework (if the end-user didn't already have either the 1.1 Framework or SP1, it would download whatever is needed when performing the install.)

That being said, in a future version of InstallShield, I'd really appreciate having more control over what .NET files get bundled with the install. For example, I'd really like if it didn't force you to include the Windows 2003 .NET Service Pack files when Windows 2003 is not one of your target platforms. If it can't install on that platform, I don't see why it should include the Service Packs for it. While the current redistributable system is simple in principle (assuming it all worked), I would ultimately prefer having control to allow for "non-standard" configurations.