PDA

View Full Version : Newbie help

dastolfo
12-16-2004, 09:08 AM
Hi folks,

I am a newbie to InstallShield so forgive me for sounding green on this topic. What I am trying to do is call on the Oracle Installer on the CD at D:\setup.exe. :confused: Here is my dillema:

I am building an MSI package that will be installing 3 components. 1 of those requires it to call on an Oracle CD located on a shared CDROM drive. For the sake of examples, lets just say its local (D:\). My research has pointed me to the LaunchAppAndWait function, but for the life of me, I cannot get it to work.

Now, remember I am green on this. What I am doing is creating a new customaction (OracleInstaller) and going to the script tab and entering the following:

if (LaunchAppAndWait( "D:/setup.exe", "", WAIT ) != 1) then
MessageBox( "Attempt to start Oracle Installer Failed. etc..", INFO );
endif;

The action has the property "Install Exec Sequence" set to "AfterIsSelfRegisterFinalize". And the CustomAction is set as the last item in the Sequences under Installation >> Execute

I then try to test, it gets part way through the pkg setup and I get the following error:

"Error 1720. There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A script required for this install to be completed cannot be run. Contact your support personell etc."

I listen for the CDROM and it does not even spin up. What I dont understand is that the script window accepts different languages. How do you "tell" it which you are writing in? Is there anything that is wrong with my script?

Christopher Painter
12-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Well I assume you meant D:\ not D:/. Before doing this all as a custom action you might want to look at authoring "Setup Prerequisites" and just let the setup.exe bootstrapper take care of Oracle before your package even runs.

Tim Owers
12-17-2004, 05:23 AM
LaunchAppAndWait failure returns a value of less than zero not one.
Messgagebox icon is INFORMATION not INFO.

if (LaunchAppAndWait( "D:/setup.exe", "", WAIT ) < 0 ) then
MessageBox( "Attempt to start Oracle Installer Failed. etc..", INFORMATION );
endif;

and also make sure the CA's condition is...
Not Installed

http://helpnet.installshield.com/robo/projects/devstudio9helplangref/LangrefLaunchAppAndWait_example.htm

dastolfo
12-17-2004, 09:45 AM
I figured it out, thanks for all your help.

:)