PDA

View Full Version : Missing setup.ini when building using Automation Interface

szerfas
12-13-2004, 10:22 AM
Hi All,

The install I am building through the Automation Interface is not putting out a setup.ini file. This worked fine in IS 7.04 but now after upgrade 10.5 this functionality no longer works. I am not sure if there are some changes that I am missing as part of IS 10.5 so setup.ini continues to get output.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Stephen

RobertDickau
12-13-2004, 02:06 PM
Is setup.ini created when you build from the graphical environment? What is your build configuration (media type, compression setting, and so forth)?

szerfas
12-13-2004, 03:07 PM
Hi Robert,

Building from the IDE is not really an option. One of the reasons we use the automation interface is many of the settings are filled in at build time. I can try to populate enough temporarily so I can build and install through the IDE and see the results.

My build settings are:
MediaFormat: Custom (10000 MB)
Compression: Uncompressed

Thanks,
Stephen

RobertDickau
12-13-2004, 03:13 PM
I was just suggesting building from the IDE to see if the results are the same. Are you including setup.exe as part of your build settings?

szerfas
12-13-2004, 04:00 PM
Hi Robert,

Yes, and a good suggestion. I wish I could easily do that, I am still working on it.

Yes, we do include a setup.exe and I am actually getting that output fine but naturally without a setup.ini it does not work.

Thanks,
Stephen

szerfas
12-13-2004, 04:35 PM
A quick update...I got my project to build from the IDE (very basic without all the additions that we make through the automation interface) and I still do not get a setup.ini. I am not sure if it make any different but this project was an IS 7 project that was upgraded up to IS 10.5.

MichaelU
12-13-2004, 06:08 PM
How does it fail? Is it possible that it is compressing the setup.ini into the setup.exe so things actually would work fine? You can verify this pretty easily by cleaning up %TEMP%, starting the setup.exe, and looking in the folder under %TEMP% that it creates. If it's there, and you need access to this file for some custom functionality, I believe that this temporary folder is the one stored in the SUPPORTDIR property.

szerfas
12-14-2004, 09:18 AM
MichaelU,

I tried the test you described and in the temp directory it created a setup.ini was placed. Thank you for the tip in finding the temp.ini. Is there a way to stop setup.ini from being built into the .exe. We really need that file to be output seperately at build time. We use the values from it to make other changes to our installation.

Thank you for all the help.
Stephen