PDA

View Full Version : How to do incremental updates

RestonBGC
12-09-2004, 06:48 PM
I'm a relatively new user of InstallShield X Express looking for quick tips on how to create "incremental" upgrades or patches (not sure which to use). I've had no problem setting up the initial installation. But for the updates -- which occur with my clients about once per month, mostly for "content" (data) updates as opposed to program code updates -- I've been using Winzip to zip up the components and create self-extracting files. As the client list is building, this is getting very cumbersome.

I would think there's an easy way to create updates (or patches) using InstallShield that would identify and package only the updated components into a very small self-extracting update file. Thus far, I have explored QuickPatch, but it looks like I have to MANUALLY choose the files to update.

Is there a way for me to package updates based on all components that have been updated since X date, or can I somehow set up the versioning to take a snapshot of what files have been distributed as of each release so that the next release will only package the updated or new files? If so, could someone give me some pointers as to how to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide!!!