PDA

View Full Version : Error 1327. Invalid Drive E:\

yuhaian
12-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Error 1327. Invalid Drive E:\

I am not the setup programmer for this SETUP.EXE.
It's Adobe photoshop Album 2.0 Starter Edition setup.exe

I have pluged in my iPod / Flash Drive. At that time there was Driver E:. But after I unpluged it out there should not be any E: anymore.

I tried those setup.exe I made based on InstallShield Express. Have this error on this machine too. So this is the error with InstallShield Engine!

yuhaian
12-08-2004, 02:36 PM
Found this on installShild site:

http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q110636

And searched my registry,

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

There is one folder "my pictures" located on E: which not exist at the time installing software. But my setup.exe is not required to access "my pictures" folder! InstallShield engine just get everything before installing software, not based on MSI/script etc. - This is a bug for installshield engine.

When I need my picture folder, I'll plug-in my flash driver. Why I have to plug-in flash driver for all instllation?

TsungH
12-08-2004, 02:51 PM
Well, CostFinalize action verifies that all the target directories are writable before allowing the installation to continue. That's the reason you are getting this error. The behavior is by design (of Microsoft Windows Installer, not InstallShield engine). For more information, please refer to KB article Q107033 on KB Search (http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/microsites/searchEntry.do), and CostFinalize action on MSDN.

yuhaian
12-08-2004, 05:10 PM
By design? I wouldn't put "my picture" folder in directory table, if I use MSI not InstallShield.

Yes, it's correct that CostFinalize verify all folders writeable. But InstallShield Express put all directorys in directory table.

So I think this make InstallShield Express easy to implement, but not so friendly to end user.

I don't think anything wrong with Microsoft here. InstallShield do need to improve InstallShield Express here. Even you told me it's by design, it could be a design problem.

Thank you very much for your answer and reply. Seems I have to use Orca more than I thought to.

Herbert

TsungH
12-10-2004, 09:29 PM
I believe you misinterpreted my sentence. The behavior I was referring to was the 1327 error. The phrase by design, I meant the error is expected when any target directory is not writable during CostFinalize action.

MyPicturesFolder property is one of the system folder paths that Windows Installer sets. It seems fair to me to include this property in Directory table by default. In fact, MyPicturesFolder property is by default in Directory table in the Basic MSI project created with InstallShield X Professional Edition. In any case, you are free to remove this entry from Directory table using Orca. It's always a good idea to make regular backup of your project.

If you find yourself spending a significant amount of time working with Orca, you are encouraged to download an evaluation copy of InstallShield 10.5 Professional Edition.

yuhaian
12-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Thank you so much for your reply. Hope not that many misunderstanding between us.

MyPicturesFolder property is one of the system folder paths that Windows Installer sets. It seems fair to me to include this property in Directory table by default. In fact, MyPicturesFolder property is by default in Directory table in the Basic MSI project created with InstallShield X Professional Edition.

This is where I cannot understand. I don't think I need to access MyPictureFolder when I install CRM software.

If you find yourself spending a significant amount of time working with Orca, you are encouraged to download an evaluation copy of InstallShield 10.5 Professional Edition.

I tried. The 1.5 evaluation expired before support team could solve my problem in debugging minor upgrading.

You mean 10.5 Professional can update multiple *.ise/ism in batch? I don't remember there is a function like that in my evaluation. How can I do that if they give me another evalution? Anyway the time for evaluation is too short to find anything useful.

TsungH
12-13-2004, 06:42 PM
This is where I cannot understand. I don't think I need to access MyPictureFolder when I install CRM software.As I mentioned, you are free to remove MyPicturesFolder from Directory table.

You mean 10.5 Professional can update multiple *.ise/ism in batch? I don't remember there is a function like that in my evaluation.I don't see the slightest inference to that in my previous post. Anyway, if you meant using Automation Interface (http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?tpc=/robo/projects/is10-5universalhelplibrary/topics/help_library.htm), and yes, it is possible.

I have never had to use the evaluation copy of the products, this is just my personal understanding. Sales should have no porblem allowing a second 15-day evaluation if it's a genuine request. But again, the request may be denied.