PDA

View Full Version : this is what I want to do, how do I do it

thomasamiller
12-07-2004, 01:36 PM
I have a c# app that is very simple, just a simple EXE called runner.exe. I want the end user to downlad a file called setup.exe. Setup.exe when run will check if at least version 1.0 of .net framework is installed. IF .net 1.0 or 1.1+ is not installed then it will DOWNLOAD the framework from the MS website and install the framework for the user. Then setup.exe will install my program (runner.exe).

How do I do this? Is it possible?

Christopher Painter
12-07-2004, 02:00 PM
I'm afraid trying to tell someone who has never used InstallShield how to author an installation for a .NET application exactly step by step is akin to trying to tell someone who has never used VisualStudio.NET how to develop and compile a .NET exactly step by step.

thomasamiller
12-07-2004, 02:23 PM
is it possible to do though? If you can tell me a general idea how to do it that would be a great start.

Christopher Painter
12-07-2004, 02:26 PM
I'm mostly a VB Classic kinda guy, but I was under the impression there is a nice stripped down InstallShield that comes with VS.NET. A friend of mine who does VB.NET development tells me that it has a really easy to use "wizard" for building an install from your project (solution?)

thomasamiller
12-07-2004, 02:29 PM
Vs.net 2003 does come with a stripped down version of installshield. If you want to bundle the framework there is no way to do that intelligently with the stripped down version.

Christopher Painter
12-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Well I will give you 1 pointer. Don't use Redistrubtables ( Merge Modules ) for your .NET Framework. Run the release wizard and you'll see a screen where you tell it you want a setup.exe and how to handle the framework.