PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player and imported MP3s

EthanBedwyr
12-07-2004, 12:53 PM
We've had trouble with MP3s not playing correctly when imported. There has to be a gap between each sound to prevent Demo32.exe from skipping every other one. Takes too long to buffer or something. To complicate matters, the length of required buffer is not consistent. It seems to vary from MP3 file to MP3 file, and sometimes it seems to vary from minute to minute (even for the same file).

The workaround we have used for a year now was to use streaming media, but that comes with a whole set of other problems and limitations.

Someone had a suggestion yesterday. The suggestion was to take the various MP3s and splice 'em into a single file, then import the file... this avoids trouble with certain sounds being skipped when imported, and makes it unnecessary to stream them.

So... the question, at last! Why is it that imported MP3s seem to require QuickTime to be installed in order to play back on the end user's system? The DemoShield Help says imported MP3s require "QuickTime, Windows Media Player, or RealPlayer". (I pasted that out of the Help).

I have Media Player installed. I'm listening to Godsmack on it right now, and I've tested the MP3 that I imported; it plays fine on Media Player. But when I run the demo containing the imported MP3, it won't work unless I have Quicktime installed. No sound.

Unlike with Streaming Media objects, I can't choose which player should be used when I set up the properties of the Quick Sound (I've also tried an event with a Play Sound action).

I can't even preview the sound in the resource manager. What am I doing wrong? Any thoughts?

Perion9
12-07-2004, 11:24 PM
While this doesn't answer your primary question, I thought I could add some alternate methods.

I have also run into the problem audio files create when starting up. Not only does the file itself skip ahead, but if I have set the demo time to advance along with the audio, any visible changes in the demo also become choppy as the demo timing jumps to where it should be had the audio started smoothly.

The best way to avoid this that I could find, other than the streaming media, is to make a new recording of your audio file, but with a couple seconds of silence in the beginning. Thus, your audio file could fire off long before any movement in your demo occurs, but the discernable sound would not begin till when you want it to be heard. This in a way creates an audio file that has already started and passed it's choppiness by the time other objects and actions come into play.

Hope this helps someone...