PDA

View Full Version : How can I read registry keys?

yonitr
12-02-2004, 04:15 AM
Hi,
How can I read registry keys and String values with custom action and add the value to the property table in order to use it in other custom actions?

10x

RobertDickau
12-02-2004, 10:05 AM
You can use a System Search to populate a property based on a registry setting; the System Search view is in the Behavior and Logic view group, and you can right-click to launch the System Search Wizard...

Tony Patterson
03-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Is it possible to use System Search in the Administrative Install sequence? I want to set the AdminNetworkLocation dialogs edit field to a path stored in the registry but my system search doesn't seem to be called then. I am trying to avoid any InstallScript so is my other option a VBScript CA?

Cheers
Tony

Ajay Ladsaria
03-02-2005, 06:51 PM
It is not possible to use System Search in the Administration Sequence. This is because the underlying Windows Installer Standard Action AppSearch is not sequenced in the Administrative User Interface or Execute sequences. You probably can use a custom action to accomplish this goal.

Tony Patterson
03-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Yes a VBScript CA is what I ended up doing.

Cheers
Tony

anitabs
03-04-2005, 04:59 AM
RegdbGetKey function gets the registry key

This link would give you more details about the function

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q105533

Tony Patterson
03-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Except I was trying to avoid using InstallScript due to some patching problems we were having with the isscript msi :)