PDA

View Full Version : Installing MSDE when SQL already exists on target PC

pennyjh
12-01-2004, 04:21 PM
Hi there
I have looked through the forums and not really found a solution to this.

I was using Installshield Express (V 4) to create an install of my software. It requires MSDE so I added MSDE in redistributables. When I tried to test the install on a target PC with SQL already installed, I got the 'instance name is invalid' error.

In reading a post from 2003 for a similar issue, it appeared that this was a known error in Express 4 (ie it does not have the intelligence to see if MSDE/SQL already exists, and therefore not to install it if it does) and the comment by 'Chandima' was that this problem was fixed in version 5.
Seeing as this was in 2003, and looking to the future, I have now purchased an upgrade to Installshield X Express.

But I am still getting the same message!! What is going wrong? Am I doing something wrong/not doing something? How can I get the same error that I got using Express 4???? I am concerned that 1-I have not fixed the error, which is now becoming my top priority (deadlines, dealines!) but also 2-I have bought an upgrade for no reason. Can someone please help me?

Thanks
Penny

bojanm
12-06-2004, 06:19 PM
The problem is that yours IS package tries to install MSDE with instance name sama as is computer name. Since it allready exists you get an error. To avoid this try specifiing instance name yourself or include MSDE installation from Microsoft and specify instalce name in setup.ini. That worked for me. Mybe it could be done som eother way, but like you I dont wont to besome an IS doctor.

pennyjh
12-06-2004, 06:34 PM
The problem is that yours IS package tries to install MSDE with instance name sama as is computer name. Since it allready exists you get an error. To avoid this try specifiing instance name yourself or include MSDE installation from Microsoft and specify instalce name in setup.ini. That worked for me. Mybe it could be done som eother way, but like you I dont wont to besome an IS doctor.

Thanks for the reply bojanm. I read about specifying an instance name within installshield and tried it, but that didnt work either. I must have done something wrong. I shall try again - are there any things I should be/not be doing?
Yes, I could include the MSDE install onto install CD, but I don't really want to get into having the user doing another install - don't want them to have to get too involved!!

Also, my main beef/question/incredulity, is - this is such a fundamental thing I can't believe the installshield MSDE distributable doesnt check for an exiting install.
Regards
Penny

(Have just tried the specifying an Instance name, just to confirm - and I get the message 'Instance Name specified is invalid' in the installation. )