PDA

View Full Version : Group object problems

faaip565
12-01-2004, 03:03 PM
I am trying to associate one application to multiple group objects does anyone know how or if this is possible?

EthanBedwyr
12-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Can you provide a little more information? As far as I know, you can't have any object assigned to more than one group.

But if the object in question is like an event with a launch application action, you could duplicate the event (right-click it in the Demo Explorer and choose Copy, then right-click the name of the scene and choose Paste Object).

You'd essentially have a bunch of events that all do the same thing, and you could assign each to a different group as needed.

faaip565
12-03-2004, 07:24 AM
I have a several events set up with launch app actions, and check box pressed properties, I am trying to build an initial menu screen that depending on what selection you choose, an associated group of check boxes will be selected for the application install. The difficulty comes when some of the programs exist in more than one of the categories on the initial menu. I have found a long way around it through using the set property action on the initial menu for each of the apps but I have over 180 apps that I am installing and each group has a different selection of apps to select. I was just wondering if anyone was aware of a shortcut method for doing this.

EthanBedwyr
12-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Not sure how much time it would save you to use groups, but you might try the following:

Duplicate the initial scene once for each of the user's options on the initial screen. Each of these identical scenes also contains one group. The group in each scene can include only those check boxes appropriate to the selected user option/scene. When the user clicks one of the options, it goes to the appropriate scene and sets the pressed property for the group in that scene, so all the appropriate check boxes are selected instantly.

Worked for me in testing. Won't take two seconds to duplicate the scene enough times, but you'll still need to modify the group in each scene to include the desired check boxes.

faaip565
12-06-2004, 09:12 AM
I ended up just creating a list of pressed property actions for each program group on the initial screen. Thanks for the help. I have another problem that I wondered if you might have a bit of insight on.

I am trying to create some program dependency actions. I have around 180 apps that are being installed through this menu interface, some of these apps require the install of another program before they themselves can be installed. Is there a way to have an event once it has been selected, go and look for a reg key or some value, and if it finds the value not install the other application, but if it does not find the value it installs the other program before the selected program is installed. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated thanks.

EthanBedwyr
12-06-2004, 10:03 AM
I haven't had occassion to use it, but there is a Read Registry Key action available. Your install button could activate the Read Registry Key action, and then trigger an event (two actions for the button, in that order).

The read registry key action lets you write the key value to a global variable. The event triggered by your install button (as the second action) would theoretically test the contents of the variable you selected to write the key value to, and then either install one app (the true action) or else install them both (the false action).

You may already be aware of this, but... remember to set your event time outside the end time of your scene so the event doesn't happen automatically. And, the trigger event time action in the install button needs to have a trigger time AFTER the event itself. So if your scene is 100 seconds long, the event might occur at 101 and the button might trigger the event at 102. There's no reason you can't have multiple such events at the same time, though.