PDA

View Full Version : What About After Trialware?

bobinyec
12-01-2004, 12:44 PM
Suppose a customer is given a trialware version of your product. During the trial, the customer likes it, and starts using it. He purchases the product. Now, does he get a replacement copy of the product with which he has to do a reinstall? Does he have to do an uninstall of the trialware version first? Or, is he given some sort of key/password which permanently turns the trialware into the real thing?

Stefan Krueger
12-02-2004, 04:01 AM
Currently, it is not possible to activate the trial version to convert it to a full version. So they would have to uninstall the trial version and install the full version. You may be able to do this automatically using a Major Upgrade.

redfox
12-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Stephan,

I have a question about Major/Minor Upgrade in general. Why we need Major/Minor Upgrade?
Just do an uninstall of old product and re-install of new version. It's clean and easy.

RobertDickau
12-07-2004, 08:37 PM
I suppose the issue is how easy you want the end-user experience to be; doing an automatic uninstall before doing the new install saves the user a step...

Christopher Painter
12-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Major and minor upgrades are also designed try to lessen the burden on the machine by reducing the cost of the upgrade transaction.

There are also situations where doing an uninstall and an install is not practical. For example, if I'm doing an SMS Push, I would have to create 2 programs instead of 1 or write a custom wrapper script to do the /X then the /I. If I was doing a AD GPO advertisement I wouldn't be able to do it period. There is no way to tell GPO to do an uninstall prior to the install. My new package must be smart enough to detect the previous package and upgrade it.