PDA

View Full Version : SQL Desktop Download From Web Confusion

jaxmeier
11-21-2004, 04:07 PM
All,

Being somewhat new to Installshield, I am a little confused about downloading the SQL 2000 Desktop Prerequisite from the Internet.

I have an installtion set up to do this, but then the setup.ini file is coming from the internet too, so I don't get the configuration I need to install it. I keep getting the String Password alert and the installation exits.

Is there a way to use my local preconfigured setup.ini file with the rest of the files coming from the internet? It would go a long way to making my installation smaller.

Despite this, Installshield 10.5 has done a great deal to make my life easier and my employer look a heck of a lot more professional. B-)

Thanks in advance for the help,
jaxmeier

DebbieL
11-22-2004, 03:27 PM
Jaxmeier,

It sounds like you need to customize the SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine prerequisite. You can edit the setup.ini file (located at <InstallShield Program Files folder>\Objects\ISMSDE2000\Redist) and post it on your own Web site. Then change the prerequisite configuration using the Prerequisite Editor so that it downloads your setup.ini version.

To change the prerequisite settings:

1. On the Tools menu, click Prerequisite Editor.

2. In the Setup prerequisite file box, type the path to the SQL prerequisite, or click the ellipsis button (...) to browse to the .prq file. The default location is <InstallShield Program Files folder>\SetupPrerequisites\Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) SP3a.prq.

3. On the Properties tab, delete the text in the Alternate location to download box.

4. On the Files to Include tab, click the setup.ini file, and then click Set File(s) URL.

5. Specify the URL for the setup.ini file's parent folder on your Web site.

6. Save the prerequisite.

7. In the Redistributables view, make sure that the SQL prerequisite is included in your project.

I hope that helps.

Sincerely,
Debbie L.

jaxmeier
11-22-2004, 03:44 PM
Debbie,

Thank you for your reply. You wrote:

It sounds like you need to customize the SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine prerequisite. You can edit the setup.ini file (located at <InstallShield Program Files folder>\Objects\ISMSDE2000\Redist) and post it on your own Web site.

I did make it that far in my experimentation. I was sort of hoping there was a way to inclde the local copy of the edited setup.ini file and get the rest from the internet. I really don't want to have to have the customer setting up multiple connections to our servers, and have the setup.ini file with an sa password hanging out there.

Thanks,
jaxmeier the installer