PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on incorporating demos into my Help & Manual projects

Perion9
11-19-2004, 01:16 AM
Has anyone successfully placed demos in help pages?

I use Help & Manual to create .chm help files for my company. I would like to incorporate small demos in different pages. I know this is possible b/c DemoShield has such pages in it's Help file. But past a format being available in the distribution wizard, I am unsure on the rest of the process.

Thanks in advance.

EthanBedwyr
11-19-2004, 05:56 PM
I don't know if you're referring to the DemoHelp option in the Distribution Wizard, but I'd bet you could reproduce an effect similar to the demos incorporated into the Designer Help by using the "DemoX" distrubtion type. This causes the demo to play right inside an HTML page. I dunno whether there might be issues with a compiled HTML document or not....

However, what we have done is to place links to the tutorial videos at the top of our Help topics. We use Fore Help 5.0, and it allows us to launch EXEs and pass command line parameters right from a compiled Help topic.

So the Help Topic's title bar says, "How to Blah Blah Blah" and then there are two buttons "View Tutorial Video" and "View Tutorial Video with Sound". Each button launches Demo32.exe installed in a folder under our program directory, with command line parameters to launch a specific DBD and even pass global variables to the player. Each button sets Global String Variable 3 based on whether there should be text or sound, and the since each has its own unique value, we can code logic into the demo to let it recognize that the user came from the Help as opposed to the tutorials menu.

Anyway, that's what we do... maybe it'll give you some ideas.

Perion9
11-20-2004, 05:24 PM
Could you please post the exact code for one of your buttons, as well as the code for the command line parameters?

Thanks

Chandy Navarata
11-22-2004, 12:35 PM
The demos in the DemoShield Online Help (CHM) use DemoX for playback. You can embed demos in your HTML help by embedding an OBJECT tag such as:

<object classid="clsid:09987A35-84AC-4fb6-9144-4416BA5462BE" border=0 width=350 height=100 align=bottom><param name="DBD" value="<path>Demohelp\m_FromLR.dbd<path>"></object>

The width and height parameters define the width and height of the demo and the "DBD" parameter defines the full path to the DBD that you wish to play.

Hope this helps.

EthanBedwyr
11-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Perion, if you still want me to, I can post the command line parameters we use. As for the code of the button, our Fore Help authoring tool is GUI-based. I don't think the properties of the button object in Fore Help would be too useful to you since you use a different authoring tool.

However, I'll be happy to post the command line parameters that we use to launch a specific demo and set a global string variable if you still need them.