PDA

View Full Version : Problem Starting Windows After Installing

teldin
11-18-2004, 10:37 AM
Some of my clients are complaining that after installing the latest version of the software we sell, everytime they reboot their computer, they get a strange message. Basically it is telling the users that media is missing and is asking for a CD. If the client hits the OK button a few times, the message goes away and Windows continues to boot up. If the client places the CD with the software on it and clicks OK, the computer continues booting right away. The clients are using Windows 2000. I am not sure if they needed Admin rights when installing or if that has anything to do with the problem.

The only difference between this new version of the software and the old is that the old was created with Install Shield Express 4 and the new uses Express X with the Update Service included.

Any ideas? Should I try getting the client to re-install with Admin rights? Is there any problems with Windows 2000 that can cause this problem and if so, is there a fix?

teldin
11-18-2004, 02:17 PM
Just got a call from another client with the same problem. The messages are stating that microsoft installer has to install features from the CD. And there are about 3 different messages that appear. Also running the software pops up messages about missing files and asking for the CD. This client is on Windows XP and installed with Admin rights.

What are all of these types of messages about and what causes them? Is Installshield X messing up what is being installed and missing required files? Any ideas? Any info will help especially with angry customers calling.

Stefan Krueger
11-22-2004, 02:45 AM
Maybe this article can help you to identify the source of the problem:
http://www.msifaq.com/a/1037.htm