PDA

View Full Version : vBuild Alternative?

slezberg
11-18-2004, 09:08 AM
Since InstallShield has completely abandoned its clients using vBuild, does anyone have any recommendations for compressing installations? PFTW only compresses it a fraction. vBuild was compressing it by more than 50% in most situations.

Thanks

Scott

BrightonGuy
12-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Hey slezberg,

I'm in the same boat you are. I was very happy with the compression levels that I was getting when using vBuild on full, offline installs. The byte level patching abilities were just icing on the cake when it came to its benefits.

If anyone is aware of any vBuild substitute moving forward beyond DevStudio9, I'd be interested. I am currently using vBuild to add further compression to my installs, as well as using it for its byte level patching abilities and integration with the one click install functionality.

On just compression, I was consistently getting around a 33% decrease in size for my full product install. Without a vBuild update to support InstallShield v10 and later, looks like I am stuck for now at using DevStudio 9 until I find an alternative solution.

I know I can go to use RTPatch for the byte level patching, but the vBuild compression on an offline package is what I am looking for. I may have to contact RedBend and ask about buying into their software directly.

tw0001
12-10-2004, 05:31 PM
I think I already mentioned this in another thread but the standard binary solution is now Netopsystems FEAD optimizer, many big companies like Adobe use it now.