PDA

View Full Version : Using a registry entry as the default Install Directory.

Tech@capsoft
11-17-2004, 01:08 PM
I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out how this is done. What i am needing to do is to search the registry for a key which holds a path name. I am needing this key to be read first and the value of the key to be the default installation directory. Can any one help? There must be an easy way to do this!

Thanks

Jordan

Mike Marino
11-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Here is a topic from our Help that may help...unless you need a more involved registry search.

To set the INSTALLDIR value from the registry:

Click General Information in the View List.
Click in the INSTALLDIR field in the property grid.
Enter the full path to the registry key containing the value you want to use. For example:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\AppPaths\App.exe\

Setting this value to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current\Version\AppPaths\App.exe will instruct InstallShield to get this value from a string named "App.exe" in the "AppPaths" key. Setting this value to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current\Version\AppPaths\App.exe\ (with trailing backslash) will instruct InstallShield to get this value from the default value of the key named "App.exe".

Tech@capsoft
11-19-2004, 04:25 AM
That works great. Thanks

bhavik.doshi
06-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Hey,
I tried the same thing, for using a registry entry as the default Install Directory.
But, it gave me an error "Error 1606: Could not access network location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\... " while running setup.exe
Any idea, what could be the reason?