PDA

View Full Version : Demo Created with V8 Won't Run on Win 98SE

ryanc44
11-16-2004, 08:36 PM
I just created my first demo in version 8, and our QA department is telling me they are getting an error when trying to run it in Windows 98SE. The error they are getting is this:

Error Starting Program: A required .DLL file, ATL.DLL, was not found <OK>. demo32.exe: One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found.

With that, we thought we'd try and throw the ATL.DLL on the CD with our demo, but I was told QA still gets errors when trying to launch the demo.

We never experienced this problem with demos created in 7.5, and I'm not the most experienced demoshield user around, so I'm at a loss. Anyone?

EthanBedwyr
11-19-2004, 06:09 PM
This is purely conjecture, but I have a thought, for whatever it's worth... :)

If you're running Demo32.exe you theoretically shouldn't need any other files at all except the DBD, right? So if it's telling you it's missing a DLL, it must be a system file (i.e., Windows).

Now it may be that even if you solve this you're gonna find other missing files or problems. Maybe DS8 doesn't play nice with Win9x.

But MAYBE if you figure out where on an XP machine that DLL is supposed to be (e.g., C:\windows or C:\windows\system or something), you could package your demo for installation as a "Setup Wizard" using the Distribution Wizard (or maybe using InstallShield or something) and have it install the required DLL file into the correct location on the end user's workstation at the same time it installs Demo32.exe and your DBD(s).... ?

I know even less than it might sound like I know (and that's saying something), but maybe this will give you an idea.

Chandy Navarata
11-22-2004, 12:26 PM
I'd like you to update the ATL.DLL on this machine and see if that gets rid of the error message. To update ATL.DLL, you need to download this CAB file http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vc/atl.cab, extract the EXE contained in the CAB file and then run the EXE.

Regards,

ryanc44
11-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the ideas. The installshield guy here actually took the specific ATL.dll that gets installed with Windows 98SE and included that with the demo, and supposedly that worked fine.

I will look into the second suggestion regarding updating the .dll on the problematic machine. Even if that works though, I doubt our customers trying to run the demo would figure out that they needed up update their .dll...

Thanks again!