PDA

View Full Version : [INSTALLDIR] not resolved in registry entry

MikeMio
11-15-2004, 12:06 PM
Hello,

I am evaluating Express X. Seems like the Compact project is the way to go in my case. However, when I converted a regular project, the registry entries used for some default directory names are not being resolved.

For example:

I have a project registry entry 'bin' that contains [INSTALLDIR]\bin.

In the regular project after installation the target registry entry 'bin' contains 'C:\Program Files\MyinstallProgram\bin'

In the compact project after installation the registry entry bin contains [INSTALLDIR]\bin'

Is that a limitation of the compact project? Is there a recommended workaround?

Also, can anyone point to a detailed source of information on the limitations/requirements of the compact project in Express X. For example, what MSI Engine version does it require?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

DebbieL
11-22-2004, 04:08 PM
Mike,

The registry entry problem that you report with your Compact project will be resolved by Service Pack 2 of InstallShield X Express Edition, which is scheduled to be released in December.

Installations that are built with the Compact project type in InstallShield automatically include a special installer--the Compact Installer. They do not use the Windows Installer at all, so it is not necessary to have the Windows Installer installed on the target machine.

The Compact project type is ideal if you need to create a small installation composed of files, registry settings, and shortcuts. If you want your project to have any of the following functionality, you should switch to the Express project type:

Include redistributables (merge modules and objects).
Include an ODBC resource.
Make .ini file changes.
Set environment variables on the target system.
Manage IIS on a target system.
Add a COM+ application to your project.
Add mobile device support to your project.
Include custom actions.
Create an upgrade or a QuickPatch to update an earlier version of the application.
Include support files (that is, files that are needed during the installation but are removed before the installation ends).
Display billboards during the run time of the installation.
Enable your installation to be updated via the Update Service.

In addition, English is the only language available for the end-user interface.

The list of limitations for Compact projects is long, but the advantage is that the Setup.exe installation file that is generated is very small.

Sincerely,
Debbie L.

MikeMio
11-26-2004, 03:23 PM
Wow, thanks for such a detailed answer. I think the compact will work for at least some of our products As you say, it is small and that is attractive for smaller apps.

One thing I noticed is that the compact installer requires that a previous installation be removed before it can be re-installed even if it is the same package. Do you happen to know if there is a way around that?

Ideally I would like all re-installs and and installations of new packages to just overwrite the previous installation. I was told this can be done in a regular project by keeping the poduct code the same but there is no spot for a product code in the compact project UI.

Thanks again for you help.

Mike

Mike Marino
11-29-2004, 02:22 PM
The compact only blocks you from re-installing the same application to the same location. However, if you install the application to another location, you will only be able to remove the last one you installed via Add/Remove Programs.

MikeMio
11-29-2004, 04:14 PM
Ok Thanks for that. So I'll assume that means there is no way around it (to install over the same location without uninstalling first).

Mike