PDA

View Full Version : installing MySQL server via installshield 10.5...

henryt1
11-12-2004, 08:03 PM
greetings all,

anybody out there try installing MySQL server binaries and then start the server as a windows service? i have been trying to figure this out on the 10.5 eval. i would like to not have to reboot the machine to get the MySQL server to run.

please let me know if you have tried this!
thanks
henry

hidenori
11-13-2004, 02:05 AM
The MySQL configuration wizard launched within the MySQL installation allows you to install the MySQL server as a service on NT based platforms. You don't want to use their installation package?

For more information, click this link: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/mysql-config-wizard-service.html.

henryt1
11-13-2004, 07:41 PM
thanks for the response...

i don't want to use the mysql installshield to install mysql, i want to install mysql with my installshield. i can figure out how to install mysql binaries. i can install the mysql server as a windows service using the command "mysqld --install". but i have to reboot the machine to start the mysql server.
i dont want to require users to reboot their machine because they would have to stop all their web servers on their machine...

henry

hidenori
11-15-2004, 09:38 AM
You can use the ServiceControl table to start a service. You need to make sure that your service is installed before the StartServices custom action is called.

henryt1
11-15-2004, 08:41 PM
thanks a lot hidenori, this looks like a great tip!
henry

henryt1
11-24-2004, 11:06 PM
fyi -

i decided to do "net start mysql" to start the service without a reboot

henry

jgaoiran
08-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Hello.

I'm using an MSI Install script project.

I used the LaunchAppAndWait option to install MySQLServer silently and using the ServiceAddService method to add the MySQL service.

Now my problem is starting MySQL service....it seems that if I use the ServiceAddService method to start it, it waits indefinitely.

How did you start the MySQL Service using "net start mysql" and specifiying no reboot?

Thanks in advance.

Joyce

hidenori
08-15-2005, 02:28 PM
Will ServiceStartService (instead of ServiceAddService) work?

jgaoiran
08-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Yes, I had set the option of ServiceAddService to FALSE for starting the service after installation of the service and instead called ServiceStartService. I received the same results in which the IDriver.exe is running at 99 in the Task Manager and it doesn't go down.

I managed to start the service using the LaunchAppAndWait method to call net start mysql.

From reading the specs, it seems as if I need to modify one of the structures (SERVICE_IS_PARAMS) the ServiceAddServcie/ServiceStartServices uses. I believe I need to change nStartServiceWaitCount from INFINITE to an estimated number of seconds. I don't know how to change it.

Thanks.

Joyce