PDA

View Full Version : Files are being overwritten when marked not to.

rholcomb
11-12-2004, 11:57 AM
I have 2 files maked to Never Overwrite. It use to work, now for some reason there are getting overwritten. What can cause this to happen? I know it use to work but for some reason it is not now.

Thanks

Stefan Krueger
11-15-2004, 02:32 AM
In which case are they overwritten? In a Major Upgrade?

rholcomb
11-15-2004, 09:40 AM
We use a 4 place version in our product (eg. 4.0.0.913) , Installshield ues a 3 place (eg. 4.00.913). I went from Installshield project version 4.00.913 to 4.01.1112. If that is what is considered a major update than yes. I did not realize there were differences in how that was handled.

Stefan Krueger
11-16-2004, 02:34 PM
A Major Upgrade means that you changed the Product Code. The Upgrades (or is it called Previous Versions?) view in Express only supports Major Upgrades.

rholcomb
11-17-2004, 09:34 AM
I guess it was a major update them. I don't understand the option that says never overwrite. Never seem pretty definite to me.

Stefan Krueger
11-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Never Overwrite means that a file that already exists when the new files get installed will not be overwritte. However in a Major Upgrade by default the old version is automatically uninstalled before the new version gets installed. therefore the file gets deleted. This behaviour may be configurable in Express, I'm not sure.

nagalakshmis
11-26-2004, 01:33 AM
hi,

Could you just explain in detail about the upgrade processthat you performed, is it that you just changed the product version alone.

If you select Never Owerwrite Property option, the file—if it exists on the target system—is never overwritten, regardless of the file version

The Never Overwrite property allows you to indicate whether or not you want your installation to overwrite a file if it already exists on the target system.

Select Yes or No from the drop-down list:

*If you select Yes, the file—if it exists on the target system—is never overwritten, regardless of the file version. Selecting Yes for this property overrides File Versioning Rules.

*If you select No and the file version on the target system is newer than the version being installed, the file on the target system is not overwritten. However, if the version being installed is newer, the file on the target system is overwritten.

Windows Installer checks only for the existence of the component's key file when determining if it should install the component. If the component's key file does not exist on the target system, Windows Installer will install the component as if the Never Overwrite property were set to No

Cheers