PDA

View Full Version : What is "Components" main reason!!!

Hani Atassi
11-11-2004, 02:36 PM
I guess i am used to Express.. The Components view under Organization is driving me nuts :mad: .. Some components remains there even after I remove the files from the installation. Also, when I add same DLL twice it gets added twice to the Components list. And there is no way to know which component corresponds with which installation feature...

I guess I didn't get the whole idea of "Components..".. Any idea of how to make it usefull.. :confused: :confused:

TsungH
11-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Components are the smallest installable unit in Windows Installer. As you start to familiarize yourself with MSI tables, and standard actions, you will come to realize many resources (files, shortcuts, registry entries, and etc.) are gated by components. You will need to accustom yourself to thinking and working on your installation in term of components.

To avoid oversimplifying the usefulness of components, I searched and found Components and Features (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/components_and_features.asp). You will want to read up on that and others to get more information and to understand components and features better.

If you haven't, you will want to spend more time in Setup Design view, which evinces the relationships between components and features.