PDA

View Full Version : "MSDE 2000 Object for NT" broken?

boomzilla
11-10-2004, 11:04 PM
Whenever I select the "Installshield MSDE 2000 Object for NT platforms" I get the following message:

"Failed to initialize wizard. Most likely, either MSDE2000Object.ini or registry entries are missing. Please reinstall the product."

I've tried reinstalling, and this doesn't seem to help. Admittedly, I'm using the evaluation version, but if I'm going to purchase Installshield 10.5, I need support for MSDE.

I have also tried using the Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine Setup Prerequisite, but that doesn't seem to install if I set the INSTANCENAME in the setup.ini, as well, it doesn't seem to generate a log file, and doesn't seem to include the option of generating a log file

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

hidenori
11-11-2004, 05:44 PM
Thank you for your feedback. The wizard error occurs because one of the support files is missing in InstallShield 10.5. I have attached ISMSDE2000Object.ini to this post. Please copy it to \Program Files\InstallShield 10.5\Support\0409 folder in order to fix this problem. I submitted the work order #1-ZF6VM to address the issue in the first service pack of InstallShield 10.5.

Regarding the MSDE 2000 SP3 setup prerequisite, you need to modify the conditions determining whether to launch the prerequisite or not so that you would be able to install a different instance of MSDE 2000. By default, it tests the existence of [ProgramFilesFolder]Microsoft SQL Server\80\COM\sqldistx.dll which is a common file installed for any instance. Therefore, the prerequisite is not invoked if you already have an instance installed on the target machine.

Instead, you need to test a instance-specific file such as [ProgramFilesFolder]Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$INSTANCENAME\Binn\SQLAGENT.dll. You can edit .prq using Prerequisite Editor launched from the Tools menu.

Best Regards,
Hidenori Yamanishi
Macrovision - Software Technologies Group

boomzilla
11-16-2004, 04:35 PM
That worked, thanks for your help

Nate Bloyd
02-03-2005, 11:43 AM
I finally got the red tape cut through and loaded IS 10.5 After applying SP1 I had this very issue with the first project I opened. Thanks for posting the fix, Hidenori, but it didn't make it to the release.

Chocsa
02-13-2005, 11:34 PM
Agreed. I too had the same problem. Could it be that I downloaded this after installing SP1 and hence it got ignored?