PDA

View Full Version : Patches and Major versions

Malaidas
11-09-2004, 03:06 PM
Hi All

I think I've been doing something wrong for several releases and I wa wondering if there is a way to fix it

Essentially I got confised about the different types of upgrade and I've been doing Major ones instead of minor. Now I wish to create a patch file which will upgrade previous ones to our current version. From the look of the documentation on 10.5 it appears that this will always attempts to upgrade rather than patch the original installation and thus remove the old one first. Is there a way to fix it so that

1) Create a patch which will successfully patch the file so that the user does not have to re-enter details.
2) Keep the patch file quite a bit smaller than the original installation as it needs to be downloadable by those with Narrow band as well as Broadband
3) Patch multiple versions with a single patch file in this way

Any help that people can give would be most appreciated

thanks

Stephen Whipp

DebbieL
11-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Stephen,

To create a patch that meets your requirements, you need to first add a minor upgrade item in the Upgrades view. It is a good idea to test your minor upgrade to make sure that it does indeed update the appropriate earlier versions of your product.

Then you can create a patch configuration in the Patch Design view. To patch multiple versions, you would create a separate Previous Setup item for each previous item that you want the patch to update. (Right-click Previous Setups in the Patch Design view and then click Add New Previous Setup.)

When InstallShield creates your patch, it compares the latest version with each earlier version. That's why you need to create that minor upgrade item.

I hope that helps.

Sincerely,
DebbieL