PDA

View Full Version : Please lend a newb a hand

TotalNewb
11-07-2004, 01:40 AM
Hi there I am a total idiot about programming yet I am a hardware guru. I have recently been learning some game design and map editing for a game I play online. I have 300 maps I have designed and needed a way to get them out to the public but putting all of them in RAR format is not only very large but very tedious for not only me but those recieving them. In short I want to put these files into exe form for ease of addition to my fellow players. I have purchased IS Express and have discovered I dont have a clue how to use it. I would appreciate any help that you guys could offer me.

I just want to be able to have the exe place files into a preexisting folder on the hard drive, but also have the abilitie to change the directory if needed, so a browse button would be ideal. Is there a faq somewhere I could read or a help topic?? Please help me!!!!

TotalNewb
11-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Ummm so is anyone willing to give a guy a hand or what??? This thread is days old now and no one wants to reply??? I am not asking anyone to do the work for me I just would like a place to start.

dandingus
11-09-2004, 02:41 PM
It sounds like what you really need is a general tutorial. Not sure exactly where to direct you to on the 'net, but try to google "Installshield tutorial". You should come up with something. That would be the best thing since you could find descriptions of every UI component you might have questions on.

If all you want to do is copy the files into a directory though, then your setup should be fairly easy to create and I can get you started at least. It's registry entries, COM information, and stuff like that which are hard. :)

In any case, try this:

Start InstallShield and create a new project. If it asks you for a type, just select "Express Project". Give it a name and location and click "OK".

The Project Assistant will then appear. Your project will be created in stages represented by the icons at the bottom of the screen. (Application Information, Installation Requirements, etc.)

Select Application Information. You must provide a name and a version number for your app. You can specify your website if you want to, but this is optional. Your company name is used to create the target directory in the Program Files folder on the user's computer who installs this application. It doesn't have to be a company though. Just give it a name. You can also specify an icon for the Application by clicking on the browse button. (This is only the icon that displays in the Add/Remove Programs applet in the control panel. The desktop/start menu icons are something else) :)

I'm assuming your maps don't need a particular Operating System, so you can skip Installation Requirements, and probably even Installation Architecture. That tab lets you group your files under certain features you define which can be selected by the user to be installed or not, but you probably want to release all of your maps as a single package.

Select Application Files. This is where you will spend the majority of your time. You are given a tree view of the folders which will be created on the destination computer. Select the folder you want to target on the user's PC. The default is Program Files > Company Name > Project Name using the company name and project name you provided earlier (as you can see). Click "Add Files" to browse to a directory on your PC where your maps are. You can add them all at once since you have so many. If they are all in one directory, just hit Ctrl + A on the keyboard to do a "Select All" and then click OK. It might take a while, but eventually you should see in the right hand pane all the files you just added. You can also organize them into a folder heirarchy by adding folders if you want.

I can't see why you'd want shortcuts to image files (and 300 at that!) so just click on "Installation Overview" to finalize a few quick options about the setup interface the user is presented with during the install. Just read the questions on the screen and answer. If you're not sure about any of them, it's usually safe to just select "No".

Finally, click on Build Installation to construct your setup. You have to pick the type of setup you want to build. Most likely you won't do "Internet" unless you're running your own website, but that's complicated. "Single Executable" will wrap all your files into one massive .exe file. I don't recommend that option since it's going to be really big, but you can if you want to. The third option is "CD-ROM" and it's the one I suggest you use. It builds a CD-ROM image which you can then burn to a CD-R and distribute to all your gaming buddies. You could also zip it up and put it on the web for people to download. The choice is up to you.

Anyway, I hope this helps get you going. Good luck!!

D

OriginalboB
11-10-2004, 09:48 AM
D:- Just upgraded to the ISX 'X'. So what you are saying is that there is no tutorial, no user guide, and no reference manual; in hard copy or even a pdf on the CD. Is that correct, or am I missing something? Maybe download a document from IS web site? boB

TsungH
11-10-2004, 10:39 AM
I will believe it comes with some sort of documentation in hardcopy. But again, I have never got my copy in "retail box", I don't know for sure what it includes in the box. I am pretty sure there are CHMs, installed with the product, which include tutorials, and pretty detailed user manual on the product. All you need to do to bring them up is to hit F1. In addition, you can find the same reference manual at InstallShield HelpNet (http://documentation.installshield.com/).