PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the InstallShield 10.5 Windows Installer Projects Community!

bobcorrigan
11-03-2004, 07:39 PM
Welcome to InstallShield 10.5!

On behalf of the InstallShield team at Macrovision, it is my pleasure to announce the general availability of InstallShield 10.5 Professional and Premier Editions, and the opening of this new community for the discussion of Windows installation projects created with InstallShield 10.5.

InstallShield 10.5 is a paid upgrade from previous versions of InstallShield, including InstallShield X, DevStudio, Multi-Platform, Professional and Developer.

This new release has many new and enhanced capabilities that will enable software publishers to author strong and reliable Windows Installer (MSI), InstallScriptâ„¢, and cross-platform installations, including:

XML File Changes View (Windows & Universal)

Drastically reduce development time by creating installations that will easily edit XML files on the target machine. InstallShield 10.5's new XML File Changes view makes it a lot easier to create setups by never having to use .NET code, Document Object Model, or any other complex method to update XML files.

Trialware Functionality (Windows Premier Edition)

Now publishers can create fully-functional trial versions of their software in just a few steps. No hardware dongles or code modifications are required. Using InstallShield 10.5's new Trialware functionality, software publishers can quickly get their product into the marketplace as a protected, time-limited evaluation version to let customers try before they buy.

Collaboration Design and Assemblies (Universal Premier Edition)

With Collaboration Design, InstallShield 10.5 introduces the concept of Assemblies that allow components to be shared across many different projects by simply plugging them in. This new functionality will significantly change the way applications are built, deployed, and maintained.

Other featured enhancements include:

1. The new InstallShield 10.5 supports all projects built with Microsoft's new MSI 3.0. Set patch metadata in patch packages, configure uninstallable packages, and more.

2. Local and Network Repositories allow Windows setup authors toy create a custom dialog once, publish it to the new Repository, and then use it in multiple projects.

3. InstallShield 10.5 extends installations to include MySQL database servers in addition to SQL Servers, IIS Web Services, and Ant Target Processors.

4. The new Compact Engine is included in InstallShield 10.5. to create installations with the industry's smallest overhead.

5. And with InstallShield 10.5, software publishers can keep their customers on the latest product release by delivering patches, updates, and marketing messages to end users after they have installed an application with the Update Service Starter Edition.

6. For Universal projects, InstallShield makes it possible to specify a unique VPD location on the target machine with the enhanced Vital Product Data Registry.

These represent only a few of the many new capabilities of this new release. To learn more about InstallShield 10.5, visit the InstallShield website at
http://www.installshield.com

I look forward to your questions and feedback in the Community, and to working with you to make our products the best they can be.

Best regards,

Bob Corrigan
InstallShield Product Manager
Macrovision

QuickFixPro
03-24-2005, 01:05 PM
- Local Repository for Professinal Edition doesn't work. Even Robert Dickau could not explain how to use them.

- XML File Changes is half backed. It leaks memory, import function doesn't work properly, converted projects miss XML properties like IS_PROGMSG_XML_...

That's what I personally know. I bet others could add more.

Maldon
03-28-2005, 02:16 PM
When is this going to be fixed? One of the only reasons (other than hoping that some IS X quirks would be worked out) I upgraded was to get XML change functionality and User Account management functionality.

Now I find that XML changes CRASHES when I import a file with a DOCTYPE set, and user account management only exists in the Universal installer.

Seriously, when will XML Changes be fixed? :mad:

hidenori
03-28-2005, 07:00 PM
QuickFixPro,

Regarding the local depsitory issue, could you check whether you have the "LocalRepository" folder under the "C:\My InstallShield 10.5 Projects" location or not? I need the information to determine if it's an InstallShield product setup issue.

Also, we are going to provide some hot fixes for the XML feature, including memory leaks and missing XML properties with converted projects. For the import function problem that you are experiencing, I need more details so that we would be able to fix it. Could you provide it as what error you are seeing?

Thank you so much for your patience and cooperation.
Hidenori Yamanishi
Software Developer
Macrovision Corporation - Software Technologies Group

Maldon
03-28-2005, 07:46 PM
Subject says it all. IS blows apart when importing an xml whose DOCTYPE specifies a web address location for the DTD file.

Example file is attached.

Error:

Exception ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005)
at address 0x066e1d5f trying to read address 0x00000000.

File : C:\Program Files\InstallShield 10.5\System\isdev.exe
Version : 10.51.0.126
Exception : c0000005
Address : 066e1d5f
Access Type : read
Access Address : 00000000

Registers : EAX=0012e2d0 CS=001b EIP=066e1d5f EFLGS=00010246
: EBX=06702ea4 SS=0023 ESP=0012e2a8 EBP=0012e37c
: ECX=00000000 DS=0023 ESI=00000000 FS=003b
: EDX=00000000 ES=0023 EDI=06702e9c GS=0000

Stack Trace : 066e1275 066e7396 73e3d930 73dd1b9b
: 73dd1b05 73dd1a58 066fdf1c 77d48709
: 77d487eb 77d4b368 77d4b3b4 7c90eae3
: 77d4b7ab 5d096072 5d0b014f 5d0c3fe3
: 5d0c5b9a 5d0c5f34 5d0c5f90 5d0c799b
: 5d0c7e5c 77d48709 77d54ca6 77d54af2
: 77d575bf 77d48709 77d487eb 77d4c00e
: 77d4e366 73dd216b 73dd1bb2 73dd1b05

Stefan Krueger
03-30-2005, 08:08 AM
user account management only exists in the Universal installer.
:confused: I see this in Basic MSI as well (hidden under Dialogs -> Add Dialog)

hidenori
03-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Maldon,

I confirmed the XML import problem and submitted the work order #1-17WCWI to address it in a future release. Also we are planning on providing a hot fix for InstallShield 10.5. I will let you know when the hot fix is available.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

QuickFixPro
04-04-2005, 09:48 AM
QuickFixPro,

Regarding the local depsitory issue, could you check whether you have the "LocalRepository" folder under the "C:\My InstallShield 10.5 Projects" location or not? I need the information to determine if it's an InstallShield product setup issue.

Thank you so much for your patience and cooperation.
Hidenori Yamanishi
Software Developer
Macrovision Corporation - Software Technologies Group

Hidenori,

Is there any documentation available explaining how to setup Local Repository usage?
I expect if you annonce the feature and people pay for it you should explain how to use it, otherwise it sounds to me as false advertisement.
I tried to talk to your sales people and all I got from them -- "Show me the money"

I do have C:\My InstallShield 10.5 Projects\LocalRepository\SystemSearches folder.
When I try to use Publish Wizard on System Search (or any other) I am able to get to Repository screen and don't have any repositories on the drop-down list to choose from. The [Next] button is dimmed, so I cannot go any further.
When I go to Options/Repository all I see is Network Settings that is dimmed as well.

Maldon
04-04-2005, 02:40 PM
:confused: I see this in Basic MSI as well (hidden under Dialogs -> Add Dialog)

Stefan, my understanding of the dialog is that it can only install a single new user per installation. I was hoping for something that would allow me to add records to a table and all of the users in the table would be installed.

Where do you see an Add Dialog menu entry? I can only do this by right clicking in the dialog view, and clicking "New Dialog..."

Stefan Krueger
04-04-2005, 02:45 PM
You're right. It's actually called "New Dialog" not "Add Dialog". Sorry for the confusion.

Maldon
04-04-2005, 02:58 PM
It also looks like it leaves the user installed when the application unisntalls (using Add/Remove Programs -> Remove)

hidenori
04-05-2005, 06:20 PM
QuickFixPro,

Thank you for your response. InstallShield product setup should automatically configure the local repository so that you can use it. You should see the "Local" in the dropdown list in the Publish Wizard. For some reasons, it failed to set it up on your machine. Could you send me C:\Program Files\InstallShield 10.5\Repositories\Repositories.xml at hyamanishi@macrovision.com? I need to look into the file to figure out what's causing the problem.

Thank you.

JavaCollege
07-17-2006, 05:43 AM
i have v10.5 installed on pc as a full running version, not an up-grade.
when installing the software i had an error message that some file name did not match? i ihad ignored the message, but when creating a project the feature button 'add files' does not does not add the exe to the project?
could advise where is my error?

Ash008
01-07-2008, 09:05 AM
In install script projects "." is replaced with "|" while runing the setup.
This is observed in XP and 2003 machine.
Let me know if there is any workaround for the same

Thx in advance