PDA

View Full Version : Building of QuickPatch project fails: ISEXP : fatal error -7073: Internal build error

Infy101
11-03-2004, 04:21 AM
Hi,

I am using InstallShield Express X version 10.0 under WinXP

I created a new QuickPatch project to create a patch for our software's older version. The project includes BDE merge modules. I selected the old version's setup.exe (built with InstallShield Express - Borland Limited Edition 3.03) as the built setup.exe to patch. I added several files to patch (dragged from 'Original Setup Files' to 'Files To patch') and new ones (by clicking 'Insert New File') to be included.

For the existing files to be patched I browsed (On group box labeled 'Updated File') their location on my computers hard disk drive and checked 'Overwrite Any Existing File'.
I saved the project and clicked on icon 'Build'. This resulted in output:

Created release folders
Creating updated setup image...
Setting product version...
Setting package code...
Updating application files...
Updating registry entries...
Creating Patch Configuration Properties...
ISEXP : fatal error -7073: Internal build error
:(

Mike Marino
11-08-2004, 11:13 PM
Do you have Orca.exe on your computer? If so, open the original setup's MSI file, and look for a table called MsiAssembly. I am guessing that this table is missing.

Let mw know your results, I may need you to send me your original MSI file.

Thanks,
Mike

Infy101
11-18-2004, 04:28 AM
I recreated the old version's setup.exe with InstallShield X Express. I tried to use that setup.exe as the basis for the QuickPatch. The QuickPatch project was then succesfully built and Update.exe created.

However when I tried to run that Update.exe to test the patch I got message 'The feature you are trying to install is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again,or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installatio package 'xxx.msi' in the box below'. What is the purpose of this dialog? Why does the Update.exe need some MSI file? I thought the Update.exe would alone contain all the information and files required for the patch. :confused:

Mike Marino
11-18-2004, 07:16 PM
The dialog is displayed when MSI is trying to access something it cannot find in the patch file. I did see something like this recently. I would like to send you a dll to try, email me privately at mmarino@macrovision.com, and I will send it to you to try.

Infy101
11-25-2004, 05:53 AM
My original problem was that I tried to create a QuickPatch project for a setup project created with old InstallShield Express - Borland Limited Edition 3.03. Building of the QuickPatch project failed with fatal error -7073: Internal build error. I tried to counter the problem by recreating the old setup project with IS X Express and then use that as the basis for a QuickPatch project. The patch file was succesfully created but failed to patch a setup installed from old Borland Limited Edition's project. The patch worked OK if applied to a setup installed from the rebuilt project with IS X Express.

So I am back in square one. I cannot recreate the old setup project with IS X Express because the QuickPatch created from that project will not update setups isntalled from old Borland Limited Edition's project.

My hope is to somehow create QuickPatch from the basis of the old Borland Limited Edition's project. This fails in fatal error -7073: Internal build error.

I checked the old Borland Limited Edition's project and indeed table named MsiAssembly is not listed in list 'Tables' in Orca. How can I fix this?

Mike Marino
11-28-2004, 06:06 PM
Can you send me the MSI (if less than 3 meg) file created by Express 3.03, that you used as the basis of the Quick Patch that gave you the -7073 build error?

You should be able to find just the MSI file in the first QuickPatch you made Folder structure, in a folder called "BaseImage".

Thanks,
Mike

Infy101
11-30-2004, 03:48 AM
I studied the MSI created in 3.03 with Orca. The MsiAssembly table was not present. I added an empty MsiAssembly table to the MSI created in 3.03. Now IS X Express has no problems of any kind building a QuickPatch project for MSI created in 3.03. Thank you for your help.

chandrasarat
05-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Even I am getting Internal Build error 7073 when building quick patch. But my scenario is little different. I am creating patch to exisiting MSI. Can some one help in resolving this issue

Created release folders
Creating updated setup image...
Setting product version...
Setting package code...
Updating application files...
Updating registry entries...
Creating Patch Configuration Properties...
Building MsiPatchMetadata table
ISDEV : fatal error -7073: Internal build error

Thanks,
S