PDA

View Full Version : Program crashes when configuring Custom Action

Tangleman
10-28-2004, 03:03 PM
Is there a limit to the number of custom action that I can have in Installshield Express 5 for VB.NET 2003? I have 18 custom actions now, and I was trying to configure the last one I added to run during UnInstall with the Invoke Parameter being "Before System Changes". The moment I choose "Before System Changes" for Invoke, the entire program crashes on me with the following error:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!
Program: ...Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003/Common7/IDE/devenv.exe
abnormal program termination

Any idea what might've caused this?

Thanks

Mike Marino
11-08-2004, 11:17 PM
There is no limit to the number od CAs you can add. You may have found a bug. What version of 5.0 do you have? We did release 2 patches to that version.

Tangleman
06-24-2005, 09:15 AM
Me again. Hope someone is still watching this. I have Installshield Express 5.0 SP2, and I'm using it in a VB.NET application. I have several custom actions (17 to be exact). 6 on Install, 11 on UnInstall. I have successfully compiled this same setup project several times before, but this time, I opened the project up to change something and I noticed that 4 of my actions on Uninstall had somehow been reset to Execute "During Installation". I tried to reset the Execute to "During Uninstallation" and then tried setting the Invoke property to "Before System Changes". These were the exact settings I had used before, and that are currently working on 7 of my other Uninstall Custom Actions. However, on these 4 that changed, when I set them back to "Before System Changes", the project immediately crashes and I get the exception:

Runtime Error!

Program: ...Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe

OK

Please, if anybody has any info on this, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm trying to put out the next version of this software and can't do it until this is resolved. Thanks!

jdelator
08-24-2005, 12:15 PM
I've run into the exact same problem. I'm running Installshield express 5 and I have found that I can only have 7 custom actions to run on Uninstall that are invoked "Before System Changes". I can add another custom action to be run during the uninstall, but if I change it to run "Before System Changes", Installshield crashes immediately.

rjsteele
10-03-2005, 03:01 PM
I recently had the same error message after my initial installation of MS VB.NET 2003. Every time I tried to create a new project for a solution I received the following:

Runtime Error!

Program: ...Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe

Then the program would shut down, after I clicked OK.

I found out that my Windows Script was corrupt. I reinstalled Windows Script 5.6 for Windows XP and Windows 2000 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c717d943-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en and now the problem is gone.