PDA

View Full Version : Install Shield 4.x and MSI

timeacct
10-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Hello

I use InstallSheild 4 Express - and I was wondering if there was a way to make a build without using the MSI? I know I can disable it - but then there is a possibility the program won't be able to install on Win 98 and NT - unless they already have the engine installed.

I ask this - as a friend of mine had mentioned other installers that don't require the huge 3.8 MB MSI engine. I would really rather stick with Installshield - but as this is a shareware app - the size of the download does matter...

Thank you for any comments.

Bradley MacDonald
bradley_AT_telus_DOT_net

Stefan Krueger
10-03-2004, 01:48 PM
Setups created with InstallShield 4 will require the MSI engine. If you can't be sure that it exists on your users machine, you need to install it. I believe InstallShield can download it automatically only if needed, so that might help if your users are online.
The latest version, InstallShield X Express (Version 10.0) can create installers that don't rely on MSI. There's a new "Compact" setup type with limited configuration options that creates very small setups. I'd suggest you try the evaluation version.