PDA

View Full Version : shortcut on the desktop

reganJohnson
09-22-2004, 11:56 AM
This is my first use of installshield, and I am trying to do what I feel should be a realy simple thing in a setup script:
-I have one executable and dll file in my "Always Install" feature.

-I want to have a 'feature' where the user has the option to install a shortcut to the application on the desktop.

-I created a new feature called 'Place icon on the desktop'.
-I Created a shortcut to the executable in the shortcuts/folders view
-I set up the shortcut so that it points to the executable in the "Always Install" feature
-I want put this shortcut into the 'Place icon on the desktop' feature, so that it is optional. Unfortunately the IDE placed the feature in the "Always Install" feature, and I cannot change it. What am I doing wrong?

I found something in the Shortcut properties help screen, about selecting which feature a shortcut belongs to:

Select which feature this shortcut belongs to. To ensure that your shortcut is installed with its target file, you need to include the shortcut in the same feature as the target file.

There must be a way to make a shortcut from the desktop optional, but I cannot figure out how. Help!!!

TsungH
09-23-2004, 11:59 PM
A search on shortcut returned this (http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=138857&highlight=shortcut) and that (http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=126088&highlight=shortcut).

reganJohnson
09-24-2004, 01:08 PM
Thanks a lot, it wasn't the answer I wanted to hear, but at least it's an answer. The custom action doesn't sound like too big a deal. I'll wait until after my user comments on what I've found to see if they really want the feature.

By the way, do you know why optionally putting a shortcut on the desktop is a 'no-no'?

TsungH
09-24-2004, 05:09 PM
I don't really dwell on the reason behind this MS recommendation. I suppose, putting shortcuts to desktop will clutter desktop, hence not recommended by MS.

zelmas
09-24-2004, 05:48 PM
Hello ,
Are you trying to place a shortcut key on the desktop that points to an exe in the PLACE ICON ON DESKTOP FEATURE.
Not sure if you are using the SHORTCUTS in the Installation Designer view of the project .
Click on the Installation designer and under System configuration you have a sub option called SHORTCUTS. There you have the flexiblity to create shortcuts and if you want it only when a specific feature is Installed you can select the feature in the "VIEW FILTER" screen on the right of the shortcut menu.
Not sure if this helped you
-ZelmaS

reganJohnson
09-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Thanks zelmaS
That's what I was trying to do. Unfortunately, I cannot change the feature . It is stuck on 'always install'. The shortcut's feature seems to be locked to the feature that the exe is associated is with. I wanted to make this a different feature, so that the user can choose not to install a shortcut to the application on the desktop. My users have not gotten back to me, so it all seems a moot point so far.