PDA

View Full Version : New Format Looks Great

rsknowles
09-20-2004, 08:13 AM
I love the new community layout. It looks better and is easier to use.

Thanks!

AdminJH
09-20-2004, 09:52 AM
Thanks. FYI, Community search needs to be repaired which will happen tonite (re-indexing).

graven
09-21-2004, 04:44 AM
sorry, but i have to object!

to me the new style is just a collection of really annoying(!) design gimmicks.
it hinders me from working efficiently.
to be precise: it doesn't fit a lot of information on a single page/screen.
i have to scroll and click and "next" all the time. it's a total waste of space on the screen. and it's a total waste of time on the end user side.

i'd prefer the standard compact(!) style.
if i remember correctly(!?) in the good old days EVERYTHING was better ;)

but seriously: all we need is compact information. we don't need any lavishing and dissipated "design" stuff ....
so, admin ppl: adjust the new forum design to be a bit more space-saving, please!

thx, graven

PS:
- when using windows XP i set the GUI style back to "windows classic".
- i write web pages via notepad.

rsknowles
09-21-2004, 07:34 AM
I confess... I'm a Notepad guy also...

I did have to turn my "threads per page" setting up in Options so that I could get more info on my screen.

Snoopstah
09-21-2004, 11:17 PM
Bring back the old forum format. We are not a bunch of people after pretty pages - we want practicality.

johnludlow
09-22-2004, 10:28 AM
I like the new format. But is it only me that doesn't have an Avatar pic anymore?

rsknowles
09-22-2004, 10:53 AM
I can see my avatar pic but no one else's. mine may be cached... can you see mine?

johnludlow
09-22-2004, 10:55 AM
Yeah, I can see yours and I can see Jeff's, but no-one else's. Is yours a custom avatar? Mine was just picked from the list. But the new forum won't let me choose a custom avatar, so I can't fix it just by choosing a different one.

AdminJH
09-22-2004, 11:01 AM
Mine's custom as well...perhaps we have an issue with non-custom avatars. We'll look into it.

KellyF
09-22-2004, 11:05 AM
<SNIP>

PS:
- when using windows XP i set the GUI style back to "windows classic".
- i write web pages via notepad.

I'm an nEdit kind of guy who also loves a compact environment versus too large... however, I believe this was the default for the software which is used. I'm certain they'll look into any ways of customising it and compacting.

:cool:

KellyF

Nate Bloyd
09-22-2004, 04:22 PM
I too like change, but what happened to what I would call response levels? We used to be tagged as "users" or "giga users", but now were generally "Registered Users". I suppose you can look at the number of posts and generally figure a users experience level, but I may respond differently to someone that is a "newbie" versus an experienced user. Just my $0.02...

AdminJH
09-22-2004, 04:51 PM
Yeah, custom titles were another upgrade casualty. We'll try to rebuild them, we have the technology.

johnludlow
09-23-2004, 08:15 AM
I would say it's all related. Avatars are affected by the same upgrade that gave the new format. If you get too religious about starting new threads, you end up with loads of threads about nothing, and you have to check each of them for updates.

AdminJH
09-23-2004, 09:14 AM
Avatars and Titles should be all good now...Titles were a just an issue of having a default Registered User title set for the entire user group which overrides the ladder-style title system based on number of posts. A feature, so I am told.

johnludlow
09-23-2004, 09:46 AM
Sorted. Nice one. Cheers!

Nate Bloyd
09-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Jeff,
Thanks, and I agree with John - nice job! And Graven, if you wish to get technical, the first post to this thread complemented the upgrade, so maybe you should have started your own thread to complain...