PDA

View Full Version : Custom Dialogs

SirDaniel
12-06-2001, 01:15 AM
I have been trying to change the bitmaps and things on the dialogs included in IS Developer. How does one use an edited dialog? I can't for the life of me figure out what has to be done. I do a recompile, and re run the install, and it's all the original dialogs.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chandima
12-06-2001, 03:49 PM
First off I;m afraid you have the woring newsgroup. This is for Installshield Express only. You can make your post on the NNTP newsgroup (which requires software like Outlook Express) at

installshield.developer7.general

Are you trying to edit dialogs in a Standard Project or Msi project?

SirDaniel
12-07-2001, 12:41 AM
It is an MSI project.

Is there no forum for Install Shield Developer? Or even another product that works the same?

Chandima
12-07-2001, 12:02 PM
Sorry about that! There is a web based forum now (NEW!) for installshiled Developer. You can access it from http://community.installshield.com/

Thanks.

JoelT
12-07-2001, 01:13 PM
Actually, you are IN the dev 7 forum-

Thanks-

Mike Marino
12-07-2001, 01:52 PM
You will need to re-build your project to see any dialog changes. Re-compiling the script will not update the resource dll used for dialog data.

Hope this helps,
Mike Marino

SirDaniel
12-07-2001, 06:00 PM
Thank you for your post.

I have been hitting f7 to rebuild.

No dialogs seem to change though. When I modify the Welcome dialog for instance, I get the little + sign under the original, and a bransh where my dialog ends up. The root one never seems to change.

I even created a brand new one called GetFTPInformation, and can't even get that one to show up. I am really at a loss on what to do next. :confused:

I tried a:
SdShowAnyDialog ("Testing...", "GetFTPInformation", 0, 0);

with it, and got nothing but an error when I tried debugging. It said it couldn't create the window.

Then I tried to see if there was an ID somehwere I was supposed to use for it and couldn't find it.

Mike Marino
12-07-2001, 06:15 PM
The Image of the Dialog displayed at the tree node above the dialog you edited, is just a static image of the dialog....not what it will look like at runtime. To see what the dialog will looks like, you'll actually need to run your setup.

If you are creating a New Dialog, you need to create script code to actually show your custom dialog. The Script function to show a custom dialog is EzDefineDialog. For information on the parameters to use for this function see the following topic in our knowledge base.

INFO: Tips on Creating and Configuring Custom Dialogs in Developer 7
Document ID: Q105708

The help topic "Dialogs (Standard Setup Project)" in the Developer help library has a good discussion how Custom Dialogs work in script based projects.

Hope this helps,
Mike Marino

SirDaniel
12-07-2001, 07:00 PM
Thank you. I will look into what you have suggested.