PDA

View Full Version : My install set is too big!

bob kochem
12-05-2001, 01:10 PM
I had a VB5 application that I distributed with ISExpress 2.x. The whole install set was about 4MB. I ported the program to VB6, and am now using ISExpress 3.5.

My install set is now >7 MB !!!

My business depends upon potential customers downlaoding a trial copy of the program - and the bigger it is, the less likely they are to download it == lost business!

I have done what I can to minimize the VB6 end of the equation; I removed a lot of controls/references VB installs by default whether used or not. And VB6 is supposed to result in *smaller* programs than VB5.

[ Note: for VB5 or 6, things like deleting runtime libraries will not work. I must deliver a complete stand-alone installable fileset. I cannot tell some customers to go do a 2nd download. ]

So, what can be done in IsExpress 3.5 to undo this great size increase I am seeing?

Thanks a lot,

Bob Kochem

Chandima
12-05-2001, 04:41 PM
The size increase you see is compliments of the Windows Installer service. The windows installer has two redistributable files which are approx 1.4MB each. So if you include both of these with your setup up you have an additional 3MB of files. Are you using a Web Install? If so you can have these files be downloaded instead of distributing them with the setup. This way your setup will be smaller and the installer engines will be downloaded ONLY of they are needed.

bob kochem
12-05-2001, 05:00 PM
Chandima,

I do not believe I can use Install from the web but I will look into it. Often my install set is copied, as a zipped file, from one internet archive to another. People download the file from the archive site, unzip it, and run setup.exe. Often at the time of the installation they're no longer connected to the internet.

Again I'll look more into this but, if I can't use Install from the Web.......

Are you telling me that by going from ISExpress 2.x to 3.5, I automatically incur a 3MB penalty in the size of my install set?

If that is the case that is *very* bad news and if I'd known that I don't think I ever would have paid for ISExpress 3.5

Please let me know if this is the case.

Bob

Chandima
12-05-2001, 05:38 PM
I agree this is sticky situation. The reality of the matter though is that Windows Installer is the microsoft recomended method of installing and they are moving things in that direction. Windows Installer has ben around for some time now so a decent amount of systems SHOULD have it installed already (from other applications). Windows ME and 2K and XP come with Windows Installer.

Another thing you could try would be to do a Web release that does NOT create a web page. This will create a single Setup.exe with compressed media which can download the msi engines from the web IF needed.

Putting it bluntly though, Express 3.x is based on the Windows Installer technology, and will not work without it. So if making setups for systems that do not have it already installed, you are add on 3MB extra. Or you could make two setups (one for NT/2K and the other for 9x) where each setup includes only one engine. So that a user would have to download only about 5.5 MB instead 7MB.

bob kochem
12-05-2001, 06:41 PM
Chandima,

Thank you for the prompt, accurate, and candid replies.

You have responded to one or two of my earlier posts with equal quality and I appreciate that.

I will tell you that I am going to be posting a notice about the penalty-factor with ISE3.x in a couple newsgroups used by authors similar to myself. This is a serious problem for us.

It may well be that Microsoft wants people to now use this installer technology. However it is clear that other technologies can work without that penalty. I am still distributing apps using ISE2.x on all the latest platforms without trouble! There are people other than IS making Installers that do not use this technology.

Doing something that is bad for the end-users because Microsoft wants you to use their technology is not a position I would care to defend.

Thanks again,

Bob Kochem