PDA

View Full Version : What causes "Yes, I want to restart my computer"?

Larry Woods
12-05-2001, 07:23 AM
Why do I see "Do you want to Launch..." most of the time when my application is installed, but SOMETIMES I see that I need to restart my computer?????? I ASSUME that it has something to do with InstallShield loading new dll's, but "Gee, it would be nice if I had a CLUE what happened!!!"

So, what causes "Restart" vs. "Launch"?

Thanks!

Larry Woods

Chandima
12-05-2001, 01:01 PM
It's probably OS (operating system) specific. You probably always get the "Launch" option when you run the setup one OS and "Restart" on another OS. Maybe your install is reaplcing system files that are in use by one OS but not by the other. So if they are in use, it prompts for a reboot.

Larry Woods
12-05-2001, 01:05 PM
I guess the question is, "What causes the 'Restart' dialog to appear? What is being tested to determine this?

BTW, Windows 98 on all computers.

Larry Woods

Chandima
12-05-2001, 04:36 PM
It's the windows installer that determines this. Probably the InstallFinalize Action. Please refer to the Msi Help (can be launched from the Express Help menu) for more information regarding the entire install process and the Actions it uses.

Larry Woods
12-06-2001, 07:51 AM
Chandima

Sorry to keep bothering you, but one LAST question: Where is the MSI Help files? I am using 2.13 and my Express/Help menu doesn't show any MSI Help...and the Express Help Index doesn't have an entry for MSI Help.

Larry

Chandima
12-07-2001, 12:28 PM
Aaah! I'm sorry. I make this mistake a lot. For some reason I assume all Express users are Express 3.x users! This is what uses the Windows Installer. Express 2.x uses our own engine. So it won't have any Msi Help. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the 2.x product so wouldn't know how to answer your question. All I know is that, the system will be rebooted if files that are in use need to be replaced, altered or registered.