PDA

View Full Version : Q105223 Sending a patch... without uninstalling/reinstalling

tfojvdl
12-03-2001, 09:59 AM
In the document Q105223 yozu can read the following:

Additional Information
You can pass the property REINSTALLMODE=voums REINSTALL=ALL to the setup via the following command line parameters:
MsiExec.exe /I project.msi REINSTALLMODE=voums REINSTALL=ALL

Setup.exe /V" REINSTALLMODE=voums REINSTALL=ALL"

In order to automate the process, you can pass the property REINSTALLMODE=voums REINSTALL=ALL in Setup.ini file. This way when setup.exe is launched, these parameters are passed to the msi package automatically for you. You can specify this parameter in Setup.ini under the Command Line section in the following way:

Setup.ini

Command Line = REINSTALLMODE=voums REINSTALL=ALL

Where can I find the setup.ini for my project? Do I have to add it in the project ?

I want to build a singlefile setup.exe...

Thank you for your help

Chandima
12-03-2001, 05:10 PM
I'm afraid the Setup.ini is available when you do an uncomrpessed Setup. A compressed Single Exe media type streams the Setup.ini file in to Setup.exe so cannot be edited.

Andrew Badge
12-04-2001, 01:36 AM
Maybe I've got this wrong but...

When you compile to a single exe , the setup.ini is included within this exe...therefore the method still works.

So ....to find the setup.ini, use Search/Find in the start menu. Find all instances of the setup.ini under \Program Files\Installshield folder. Backup the old inis and edit the line

cmd =

Note the difference to the Knowledgebase article.

Ps I didn't use this method in the end as all it invlokes is the same method as if you chose "Repair" from Add/Remove Programs. The full installer process does not seem to occur (ie custom actions). This was a problem for me,