PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall option??

geoffcox
12-01-2001, 05:59 PM
Hello,

Wondering how to do the following...

We have an uninstall shortcut accessed via Start/Programs using
msiexec.exe etc - problem is that when our Java program is run
by the user it creates some files which are not then removed by the uninstall process....

Simple enough to write an exe which will delete these files but where/how is this kicked off in the InstallShield process??

Thanks for any ideas..

Cheers

Geoff

Chandima
12-03-2001, 04:23 PM
What version of Express are you using? With 3.03 Upwards allow you to specify Custom Actions to be run in the uninstall process only. You can launch this exe you created as a Custom Action during the uninstallation.

geoffcox
12-03-2001, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Chandima
What version of Express are you using? With 3.03 Upwards allow you to specify Custom Actions to be run in the uninstall process only. You can launch this exe you created as a Custom Action during the uninstallation.

Hi,

I am using v3.03 but how do I connect the custom action, ie running a file clean up exe, to the uninstall action (ie the msiexec.exe etc)?

Cheers

Geoff

Chandima
12-04-2001, 09:39 AM
I am assuming you have an exe file that uninstalls this Java stuff. Go to the Custom Actions view. Create a new exe Custom Action and make it point to this exe file. Select the "execute" property and set it to "During Uninstallation". Go to "Invoke" property and set either after Ready to Remove dialog or After Setup Complete Success dialog (because we want these deleted ONLY if the app is uninstalled - instead of repaired or modified).

geoffcox
12-04-2001, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Chandima
I am assuming you have an exe file that uninstalls this Java stuff. Go to the Custom Actions view. Create a new exe Custom Action and make it point to this exe file. Select the "execute" property and set it to "During Uninstallation". Go to "Invoke" property and set either after Ready to Remove dialog or After Setup Complete Success dialog (because we want these deleted ONLY if the app is uninstalled - instead of repaired or modified).

Chandima,

Many thanks - hadn't noticed the "during uninstall" option.

Cheers

Geoff

mtilburg
12-10-2001, 04:30 PM
I have choosen to disable the modify and repair options for the uninstall. I only get one dialog that asks

"Are you sure you want to uninstall this product"

after clicking ok... the product is uninstalled with out any more dialogs.

which one of the invoke options will invoke my custom action after this dialog.

-mike

Chandima
12-11-2001, 09:45 AM
You can try putting it after one the "Ready to Remove" Dialog. If this doesn't work, try putting "Before System Changes".