PDA

View Full Version : Windows Installer Service

Gary99
11-29-2001, 07:00 PM
This should be an easy one. I'm trying to have Install Shield automatically install the Windows Installer Service on machines that don't already have it.

In my project for "Build your release" | "CD_ROM" I have:

"Include setup.exe" = yes
"Include MSI Engine(s)" = Both 9x and NT engines
"Suppress Launcher Warning" = yes

However, when I try to install this on a Win '98 machine I get the following error:

"This installation package cannot be installed by the Windows
Installer service. You must install a Windows service pack that
contains a newer version of the Windows Installer service."

Is there something else I need to do to make this happen?

I am running InstallShield Express Version 3.51.

Thanks for any assistance,

-Gary

deano7
11-29-2001, 07:19 PM
Hi Gary,

I am having the exact same problem. This appears to be a pretty common problem, although I haven't seen any fixes yet. It killed me yesterday in a meeting in which I gave a demonstration. DOH! Needless to say, the meeting did NOT go off without a hitch and it made me look foolish.

I am wondering if upgrading to INSTMSIA.exe version 2.0 would fix the problem. Hopefully someone can let us know if this is a solution.

I hope Chandima sees this one today! ;-)

Chandima
11-30-2001, 01:14 PM
I have a quick question for the two of you. How did you get a hold of your version of Express 3.51? Did you

1. Install 3.50 and then apply the 3.51 Hot Fix Patch
2. Install from the 3.51 CD
3. Install 3.51 straight from the Web

Are either of you familiar with using ORCA? If so open your built msi with it, from the menu select View->Summary Information. What is the value of the "Schema" field? If it is anything more than 110, that could be the problem.

deano7
11-30-2001, 01:55 PM
I installed mine from the CD just last week

I have never used ORCA, however, I would very much be interested in exploring it if it may help.

One of the problems I am having is the software I am developing is for computer 'DUMMIES'. If any of them get this message, they will not have a clue what it means and will be turned off.

If you have time to post the instructions on how to get and use ORCA to check the 'schema' value, I will get you an answer ASAP. I would also be more than grateful for your time.

Thanks Chandima,
deano

Chandima
11-30-2001, 04:29 PM
I can never find the URL to the place but it seems our Express Help can save us! Go to the Custom Actions view and press F1 and launch the help. In there browse to the help topic named "New DLL Custom Action Function Prototype". Towards the end of the page there is a hyperlink on the words "web site" this is a direct link the SDk. Once you download it, install it somewhere. Then look in it's "Tools" folder. There will be a file named orca.msi. Run it. Once it installs, browse to the msi of your setup, right click and select "Open in ORCA" (or Edit in ORCA). This will open it up similar to an access Database.

Gary99
11-30-2001, 05:37 PM
Hello Chandima (and Deano7),

Thanks for your quick response.

To answer your questions, I installed Express 3.51 directly from the CD and I downloaded the "Windows Installer SDK" like you suggested and used the ORCA utility to open my .msi file. I have attached the screen dump with the results, but the Schema = 110 so that doesn't appear to be my problem.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks,

-Gary

Chandima
11-30-2001, 06:10 PM
So that wasn't it huh? I was hoping so cos it would make some kind of sense. I'm afraid there is nothing else I can think of. This is a problem with the instmsia.exe file. Just to prove my point take a look at KB article Q229819 on msdn.microsoft.com. As you can see it's an issue with the Office 2K setup as well. That setup was built with Visual Installer, so it's not really an InstallShield problem.

The only thing that seemed to work was to get the end user to manually run the instmsia.exe file and then install the setup. Ever since this issue was brought up a few months ago, I have been researching on MSDN for a better work around but haven't found any. One user did comfirm that this problem does NOT occur with the Msi 2.0 redistributables.

Express 3.53 distributes the 2.0 engine by default and should (hopefully) solve this problem. 3.53 should be available very soon.