PDA

View Full Version : Testing for blank global variables

EthanBedwyr
08-17-2004, 11:30 AM
I have about 100 or so videos that were created or last modified using DemoShield Designer 7.51 (SP1). They all work fine.

I'm updating them for the new version of our programs.

I seem to have found an issue with comparing global string variables to blank.

Depending on how a demo was launched, GlobalString Variable 3 might have one of several values. If the demo was launched from the main menu, however, that variable is left blank.

At the end of a video, 1 second before the end time of the last scene, I use a custom condition to test Global Variable 3. If that variable is blank, a launch application action sends the user back to the main DBD menu.

If it's not blank, other events are triggered.

All my videos created using 7.51 work this way, and they work just fine. However, it appears that if I so much as check the custom condition for the "Go to main" object described above using 7.53, it simply ceases to work. Nothing is changed visibly, but demo32.exe quits recongizing that Global String Variable 3 is blank, so it moves on to the other events instead of going back to the main DBD menu.

I've been able to work around this by importing a scene from one of my new videos in which I never opened the custom condition, then replacing the "Go to Main" event in the problem video with the one from the imported scene. Then I delete the imported scene and save my changes, and the "Go to Main" event works fine. This is an inconvenient workaround.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the ability to test for a blank variable broken?

I notice that when I test for blank, the term <filler> is inserted in the condition. I imagine the test is looking for an empty field and finding the text <filler>, which is not blank.

I've searched the forum, the Web site, and InstallShield's KB and found no info on this, but I could swear I've seen something about it once before. Any advice would be appreciated.

EthanBedwyr
09-15-2004, 09:19 AM
Does anyone know if there is a confirmed issue with testing for blank global variables?

JoannaG
09-16-2004, 09:20 AM
Hi Ethan,

This issue has been reproduced and determined to be a bug in our software. This issue has been submitted to our Development team as work order #1-VXZDT.

Our Development team is investigating this issue, but at this moment, there is no estimated time frame for when this issue will be fixed.

You can track the status of this issue using work order number by checking release notes at www.installshield.com/downloads or searching the Knowledge Base at http://support.installshield.com/kb/.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

JoannaG
09-22-2004, 04:51 PM
One simple work around would be to add a Variable Object to the scene with no Current or Initial Value. Then, you can check if the Global Variable 1 Equals Variable 1 which would be the same as checking if Global Variable 1 has no value.

I hope this is helpful.

EthanBedwyr
09-29-2004, 12:58 PM
Yeah, that'll work as a workaround for now, thanks.