PDA

View Full Version : Demoshield and spyware???

raklar
08-17-2004, 10:45 AM
I was talking with our Network admin this morning and apparently my internet usage was unbelivibly high last week, turns out I had a some spyware that was trying to continuosly connect to update.appower.net.... a known spyware company. and it looks like it was DemoShield that installed this.
(C:\Windows\Softtalk)

Why in the world is DemoShield installing spyware on it's customers computers?????

EthanBedwyr
08-17-2004, 11:33 AM
A colleague of mine had a problem with some application interfering with another. Investigation revealed that it was the Soft Talk application causing problems. We then investigated further and found that "Soft Talk" had been installed with DemoShield.

Chandy Navarata
08-17-2004, 03:50 PM
One of the older versions of DemoShield included a 3rd party component from Appower Inc that provided a mechanism to deliver messages to DemoShield users. These messages could be software update messages, helpful information about the product in the form of Knowledge Base articles and so on. DemoShield users have the option to uninstall this component if they so desire. However, we no longer include this component with DemoShield.

Regards,