PDA

View Full Version : MSDE Question

Corobori
08-16-2004, 11:12 PM
What is the use of the "InstallShiel MSDE 2000 Object for NT Platforms" ? The overview says "Contact: Your local administrator" !!!!

Mike Marino
08-19-2004, 03:35 PM
This Object install MSDE 2000 on Windows NT (NT, 2k XP etc.)based computers. It will not work on Windows 9x machine. We need to fix that description.

Thanks.

Corobori
08-28-2004, 05:56 PM
What about MSDE 2000 I find further down the list of Redistributables ? If I want to have a setup with MSDE should I select both ?

Mike Marino
08-30-2004, 11:13 AM
Do not select both. One or the other.

The problem with the MSDE 2000 merge modules from Microsoft (this is the one further down in the list) is that patches for MSDE 2000 from Microsoft do not work if you install MSDE 2000 with this Merge Module. If my memory serves me correctly, this became a big issue when the slammer virus patch did not work with it.

So we then created the "InstallShield MSDE 2000 Object for NT Platforms" merge module object. This does allow the patches to work with it. It is actually the Microsoft MSDE 2000 non-merge module redistributabes under the hood. The only problem is that because how we had to integrate this, it will not work correctly on Windows 95.

So we came up with a 3rd option that works on all platforms; A MSDE 2000 Setup Prerequisite. Setup Prerequites are not available in Express (but are in Professional). So you do need to upgrade to use this feature. The Setup Prerequisite gets around all of the Windows Installer issues we had with the Microsoft Redistribtuable, thus it will install even on 9x machines.

Corobori
08-30-2004, 06:20 PM
I am targetting only W2000 and WXP machines no W9x allowed.
Which one would be the best then ?
Somebody told me the if I choose the InstallShield MSDE 2000 Object for NT Platforms option "if u select this component u have to write msi code to get it to work u have to use MSDE 2000. if u select MSDE 2000 it WILL set the service to automatic". Starting the service automatically is also part of my problem.
The cost of upgrading is beyond my budget.

Mike Marino
08-30-2004, 06:26 PM
The Microsoft readme for MSDE 2000 Sp3a recommends that you do not use the merge modules for redistribution of new instances of MSDE.

You want to use:

"InstallShield MSDE 2000 Object for NT Platforms"

You would probably need to write a custom action to start the service.