PDA

View Full Version : INI File Creation Error

guyhod
11-27-2001, 06:41 PM
I am having difficulties with my Express 3.01 implementation. When I try to install my product using Express I get the following error message

"Error 1913.Could not update the INI file S:\TEST\MKT.CFG. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it."

The INI file is to be created during installation, which the documentation states will occur if the file does not exist.

I only get this error message when I am trying to install the program on a network drive. I am installing from a Windows NT4 SP6 W/S onto a Windows NT4 SP6 server and I have administrative rights.

I get this error for CD-ROM installations and for SingleImage installations.

Any ideas on how to correct this?

Chandima
11-28-2001, 09:13 AM
Are you trying to edit values in this file using the "Ini Files" View? If so I'm afraid you can't do that. The Windows Installer adds and edits only ini files when using this view.

guyhod
11-28-2001, 12:38 PM
Chandima;

I'm not quote sure I understand your statement about INI Files view. In Express 3.01 I clicked on the INI File Changes, entered MKT.CFG as my file name, and gave it the section and keywords. This works on local drives, but fails when installing on networked drives.

Is the Windows Installer extension sensative?

Chandima
11-28-2001, 05:27 PM
I'm sorry. For some reason I assumed that you might have used Express 2.X. In 2.x I think we had functionality where you could edit system.cfg. I assumed you were trying to do the same thing here.

I'm must say I'm suprsed the Windows Installer doesn't choke for a file that does not have an ini extension! I reproduced your issue. Unfortunatelt it looks like a Windows Installer issue. I logged the install and see that it fails with an internal Error 2104. I sent an email to one of our contacts at Microsoft to verify that this is an issue on their part. Shall make a post to this thread when I hear from him.

Thanks for bringing this up.

guyhod
01-19-2002, 07:49 PM
Chandima;

Any word from Microsoft on this issue?

T. Guy Hodgdon
MKT Software Designs, Inc.
http://www.mktsoftware.com
Telephone: 916-786-8801
Fax: 916-786-8809
Sales: mailto:sales@mktsoftware.com
Support: mailto:support@mktsoftware.com

Chandima
01-21-2002, 01:04 PM
I didn't get a reply on this yet, but am sure it's a Windows Installer limitation. The reason I say this is because you get the same error if you manually populate the IniFile table using ORCA instead of populating it through Express (building from Express).