PDA

View Full Version : Can I set a user's color depth?

EthanBedwyr
08-13-2004, 10:52 AM
I know that I can test the color depth as a condition in an event, and that lets me prompt the user to change their color depth if it's below the desired level.

But is it possible for me to create a button the user can click to change the color depth automatically?

EthanBedwyr
08-13-2004, 12:22 PM
...or maybe I can't test a user's color depth, after all.

I want to check for 16-bit color depth at the start of a video. I added a new scene to the video, and set it as the Initial Scene on the Options tab in Demo Properties.

The first item in the scene is an event that occurs at 0.0 seconds.

It uses a Check System Color Depth condition to determine whether to advance to the introduction scene or to display a message about color depth.

If System Color Depth greater than or equal to 65536 then
{
Go to (Scene Name)
}
else
{
}

The next object in the scene is a text block and some backgrounds, etc, which should be displaying if the test is failed. There is no false condition, so if the test is failed, the event has no effect and the text object that occurs at 0.1 seconds (with initial state of visible and enabled) should be appearing.

Instead, the initial scene containing the Check System Color Depth event is always skipped, as if the test were always passed--even when I run the video on a Win98 system displaying 256 colors.

I've tried variations, using "less than or equal to 256" with a false action and no true action, etc. Nothing I do seems to make any difference.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with the Check System Color Depth condition?

Chandy Navarata
08-16-2004, 09:59 AM
It would be easier if you can post a copy of your demo.

Regards,

EthanBedwyr
08-17-2004, 08:16 AM
Ok, here's a copy of the demo in question.

Chandy Navarata
08-17-2004, 03:38 PM
The value returned by the Color Depth system variable is a string so comparisons like Color Depth >= 65536 will always appear to succeed. There is another way you can test this condition. You need to add the following 3 custom conditions to your event object:

Color Depth not equals 2
Color Depth not equals 16
Color Depth not equals 256

You can leave your actions settings as-is. When this event object is triggered, it will go to another scene only if the color depth is not 2 and 16 and 256.

Hope this helps.

EthanBedwyr
08-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Ok, that's got it, thanks. Now the tests seem to be working correctly. Next question, though, or rather the original question...

Is there any way to set the Windows color depth? Like I could create a button that would have an action of setting the color depth to 16-bit, perhaps?