PDA

View Full Version : unable to open saved .ism project

ryancrawcour
11-22-2001, 10:58 AM
please help, i have a number of saved projects on my machine.
i was on Win2K when i created these install packages. i saved them and could work with them fine. i now upgraded my machine to win xp, copied all my data across. installed express 3.51 and now i cannot open any of the previously saved projects.

all ISE tells me is "unable to open project"... no further information, nothing. i looked at the log file, but it is empty (0kb).

i am able to create and edit new projects that i have created. just not these from my previous machine.

any ideas on how to solve this problem,
pls any suggestions would be great as this is a HUGE train smash for me, i do not want to have to rebuild all these installations sets.

cheers
ryan

Chandima
11-26-2001, 10:25 AM
This seems to be an inconsistency between Express and XP. Do you have the 32bit version or 64 bit version of XP? Do you have any test machines? If so just install Express 3.51 and see if you can still open the projects you saved earlier. If they open without a problem we know that the saved files are not corrupt and that it is indeed an issue with Express and XP.

ryancrawcour
11-27-2001, 01:29 AM
Hi There,
this problem is resolved. the issue was that these projects were added to VSS (Visual Source Safe) before I upgraded my PC. I then got the latest versions of all the projects but did not make them writable. Apparently Express wants the project file and sub folders to be writable, else it gives this non-informative error message.

Thanks for the response though,
Cheers
Ryan

Chandima
11-27-2001, 11:47 AM
If I am not mistaken we fixed this in Express 3.53. I saw a posting on these message boards where Read-Only files were not being opened.

FYI - Installshield Developer 7.0 supports Source Code Control such that you can Check-In, Check-Out, Get Latest Version, Add to Source Safe, Show History/Differences, etc, etc from within Developer itself.

ryancrawcour
11-28-2001, 01:15 AM
well if this was fixed then it's still a problem in my version of Express. as soon as i made the files read / write the proects opened correctly.

i have ordered developer 7, can't wait ...
cheers