PDA

View Full Version : Verify if the software is already installed

alenka
08-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Hello, I am very new to InstallShield, and I need a quick solution for this small problem.

I have created an installation package that runs as an upgrade for an application. I need to make sure this package only runs when a certain version of the application is installed. How can I determine that?

Thank you very much

Will J.
08-10-2004, 10:14 AM
One option you have is to create a new Requirement in the Installation Designer | 5 Define Setup Requirements and Actions | Requirements view. Here you can right-click the System Software Requirements node and select "Create New Launch Condition (System Search)." This will allow you to configure the installation to query the system for a specific file, directory, or registry entry that should have been installed by the previous version. You would then want to select the Found option on the "What do you want to do with the value" dialog. This will only run your installation if the search is successful.

alenka
08-10-2004, 12:01 PM
In the requirements, I select New Condition in System Software, from there, File path, by searching in a specific folder. Then, the file name is MyApplication.exe. For the folder I choose [INSTALLDIR].

Theoretically, the .exe file should be in this folder, but by some reason, I keep getting a message indicating that the file was not found. Am I doing something wrong?

TsungH
08-10-2004, 03:11 PM
Similar discussion here (http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132705).

alenka
08-10-2004, 04:02 PM
That's exactly what I needed, thank you so much!!!