PDA

View Full Version : "CRViewer.DLL may need to be updated" problem

Brad Barker
08-03-2004, 08:33 PM
I need anyone's help. When installing a program that incorporates Crystal Reports v8.5 Report Viewer on the testbed, I get the message "Run-time error 372. Failed to load control 'CRViewer' from CRViewer.dll. Your version of CRViewer.dll may be outdated. Make sure you are using the latest version of the control that was provided with your application."

Installing the program using VB's Package & Deployment Wizard causes no problems.

The support groups mention a Crystal Report patch that could be incorporated into the installation program. If this is the answer, what steps should I take?

I am working with Crystal Reports support on the issue (see below), but have yet to get a definite procedure, so I thought I'd ask for your help.

=--------------------------------------------------------------=
Sent: 08/03/04 @ 10:31 AM PDT

Hello Brad,

Thanks for the community post. I had just found the same article in the Business Objects' support network and was looking into it.

http://support.businessobjects.com/library/kbase/articles/c2009679.asp

It seems to be a bug with the Crystal Reports 8.5 merge module that appears to be fixed in a later service pack. As the object was created before the Service Pack, it seems that the object does not include the latest fix.

A feature request has been submitted to our Development team for consideration in a future release. You can track the status of this request using work order #1-SUUDP. At this time, I do not know when this feature might be incorporated into the product.

As a temporary fix, you can include the latest file from the Service Pack manually in the build and verify if this helps resolve the issue.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any additional questions or concerns regarding this Service Request, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Vagmi

------ Message Posted ------
Sent: 08/03/04 @ 9:22 AM PDT

Thank you. I appreciate the work you're putting into this. May I
suggest looking at the following post:
http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?threadid=108064&goto=nextnewest?

Brad Barker
Pharmacy Care Systems
Auburn University
Work: 334-844-8392
www.auburn.edu\~barkebn

>>> "Vagmi Mudumbai [InstallShield mySupport SR ID 1603234]"
<160-3234-ryv@installshield.epeople.com> 8/3/2004 10:14:16 AM >>>
Sent: 08/03/04 @ 8:10 AM PDT

I am currently still researching your service request. I apologize for
any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience regarding
this issue. If you have any additional information that may be useful in
resolving this issue, please do not hesitate to contact me. As soon as I
have any further information, I will contact you.

Sent: 08/03/04 @ 8:10 AM PDT

I am currently still researching your service request. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience regarding this issue. If you have any additional information that may be useful in resolving this issue, please do not hesitate to contact me. As soon as I have any further information, I will contact you.

Sent: 08/03/04 @ 7:56 AM PDT

I am running the installed application as the same user that installed it, the Administrator of the PC. The issue persists.

Sent: 08/03/04 @ 2:09 AM PDT

Hello Brad,

From the run time error code, I understand that this error occurs while running the installed application. Please let me know if you are running the application as the same user who installed it.

Also install the application as an administrator and run the application as an administrator and verify if the issue persists.

Regards,
Vagmi

Sent: 08/02/04 @ 11:05 AM PDT

I did not mention in my earlier e-mail that I had already done this prior to involving Customer Support. Just to make sure, I just now followed your advice and received the same result. No good.

Sent: 08/02/04 @ 9:30 AM PDT

Hello Brad,

I apologize for the response earlier. Further research revealed that Crystal Reports 9 object is designed to co-exist with Crystal Reports 8.5 and hence is not backward compatible. You can download the latest version of the Crystal Reports 8.5 object from the following location.

http://www.installshield.com/downloads/modules.asp?prod=cx&lan=english&xmlUse=y&xmlUse=y&xmlUse=y

Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue.

Regards,
Vagmi

Sent: 08/02/04 @ 7:56 AM PDT

The merge modules for Crystal Reports 8.5 don't exist at the link that you gave me. Specifically, which merge module should I use?

Sent: 08/02/04 @ 4:22 AM PDT

Hello Brad,

Please download the latest versions of the Crystal Reports merge modules and include it in your setup and verify if the issue persists. You can download the latest versions of the merge module by following the link below.

http://support.businessobjects.com/fix/merge_modules.asp

Regards,
Vagmi

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 07/31/04 @ 3:45 PM PDT

When installing a program that incorporates Crystal Reports v8.5 Report Viewer on the testbed, I get the message "Run-time error 372. Failed to load control 'CRViewer' from CRViewer.dll. Your version of CRViewer.dll may be outdated. Make sure you are using the latest version of the control that was provided with your application."

Installing the program using VB's Package & Deployment Wizard causes no problems.

What should I do?

The support groups mention a Crystal Report patch that could be incorporated into the installation program. If this is the answer, what steps should I take?

Brad Barker
08-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Update: No luck on applying Crystal Reports 8.5 patch to development system and rebuilding installation package. Downloading the patch to the user's PC gives the warning "Unable to find the registered directory for the Crystal decisions product. Please reinstall the original product before applying this patch.".

Out of options to continue using CR 8.5. Any ideas, anyone?

Crystal Reports problem at http://support.businessobjects.com/library/kbase/articles/c2009679.asp

Patch applied: http://support.businessobjects.com/fix/hot/si75/form.asp?file=cr85win_en_sp3.exe

Lowgunn
08-10-2004, 01:53 PM
I have had the same issue. The only way i was able to work around it was to install the crviewer.dll(version 8.5.0.473) to the system directory. I can't use the Crystal 8.5 merge modules since the crviewer.dll file version is older than the updated one that my apps are using. Thus giving you the exact error message you are referring to. I would hope that the newer version crviewer.dll would get added to the merge modules soon so we can use it.

Hope this helps

Brad Barker
08-11-2004, 08:05 AM
Thank you - it's a working answer. I've always been careful about "forcing" the registration of a pariticular version of a dll file. If there's a later version of the file, I could make my program work, at the cost of breaking someone else's application that uses the later version.

Regardless, you are right, that's one way to fix it.

cgmoore
09-16-2004, 09:32 PM
This problem is affecting me, too. I have been building an application for some time now and it seems that ever since I installed crystal reports 8.5 service pack 3, this problem has resurfaced. It also seems that the support that Crystal Reports provided with their telephone center in Vancouver is not asavailable as it once was. I also received an end-of-life notice for CR 8.5 recently and I don't have the time to upgrade it to 9.0 nor do I have the need to pay for cr 10.0.

The problems I am having is that there are two crViewer.dll files on my machine, and I suspect that the merge module contains one as well. The reason that I suspect this is that if I search my system for crviewer.dll, I will find version 8.5.0.217 and 8.6.1.758 floaing around my system. After I do an install shield build, another 8.5.0.217 is placed in my build directory, but it is CRViewer.dll, not crviewer.dll, which is the same file with upper case letters in the name.

Is there a way that I can force InstallShield to install the version I specify? Can I select the dll properties and choose self-register and this will force the installation of the dll I specify?

catal1na
10-13-2004, 12:07 AM
Hehehe... (I wonder) where are the guys from InstallShield?

Like so many of you nice and peaceful people, I am having this problem as well.

Is there a way to repackage InstallShield's CrystalReport8.5 Merge Module?

In the mean time i'll try another approach and get back to you all if it's good. :)

cgmoore
10-13-2004, 09:21 PM
I got it to work by finding the 'right' version of crviewer.dll and then placing it in the directory with my build (in the files section). I then set the com options to self register. (Forgive me if i'm not saying this correctly - I'm recalling it from memory as I did it a few weeks ago.) I think this forces the dll to be loaded.

If you need more detail, let me know and I will retrace my steps on my build machine.

Craig

Oh and by the way --- thanks for all the responses Install Shield Support -- nothing like guessing one's way around. :D

catal1na
10-14-2004, 09:41 AM
Yes, I got that working too by adding another but newer crviewer.dll as a new dependency. It's dirty.

I'm not sure if this is the same for you guys.

I experienced a severe sluggishness in the Report Preview in machines running 98, 98 SE and ME. However this is not the case for NT/2K/Xp based machines. "Amzingly Strange..." mentioned on of the engineer...