PDA

View Full Version : Zipping and Encrypting InstallShield

anthony1234
08-03-2004, 09:43 AM
I have a unique requirement where we are creating InstallShield web based project for several commercial customers to install at thier sites. (The customers are competitors) All the customers will get the same InstallShield Installer base, on CD's. The customers cannot see the folders and files on the CD's with the web or app files because they may belong to another customer and that is a security risk. Is there a way for InstallShield package, encrypt and zip all the files so that no customer can see the directories and files and only install and customize those files that belong to a customer based on the license key or serial number given to installshield during the installation process?

BugKiller
08-03-2004, 10:07 AM
Hi anthony1234

I don't know if i did understand your question correct.

You have one setup with different files for a special competitors.
Now you will extract a special cab file from your encrypted setup project. This should be not really difficult.

1. Data1.cab does include the custom files for supportdir.
You can run the setup and ask the customer to the serial number.
After this you can verify and call a special dll that you have written to extract your encrypted data2.cab.
Then install and ready.

regards BugKiller

anthony1234
08-03-2004, 10:26 AM
Yes I have one setup but InstallShiled will install certain files and folders based on the license key or serial number of that customer.

I am currently using InstallShield X Premier and how do I create the *.cab files. When I create a CDROM_Image release and open the CDROM I see all the files and folders and there is no *.cab file created.

BugKiller
08-04-2004, 01:47 AM
Now i understand.

You have used an InstallScript MSI Project!

And you wondering now why this project does create folders and files. Ok.

Go to the release wizard an click in the fourth dialog "compress all files". That must be this what you want.

But i don't use MSI technology at this time.
I have made very bad experience with MSI.

IS DevStudio 7 was so buggy that i could not work with this installer! DevStudio 8 was a litte bit better but not good enough for me. In IS X i don't have tested it.

I am using normal IS X InstallScript projects with *.cab files or single executable. With this i and the customer has no problems.

Hope this helps
BugKiller