PDA

View Full Version : Update Service - Starter Edition

MushyPeas
08-02-2004, 06:55 PM
I'm trying to find out more about what I can and can't do with this Starter Edition. A reply from tech support:

"The Update Service Starter Edition is a feature of InstallShield X that will notify your customers of available updates and point them to your download servers. The Starter Edition can be used to update an unlimited number of users for an unlimited amount of time. In the Starter Edition, update notification is done via a shared desktop tool called the Program Manager. If you require an update experience more integrated into your application, you can use the Update Service Professional Edition.
To quickly compare the update service professional edition with starter edition please visit:http://www.installshield.com/products/updateservice/info/starteredition.asp"

I looked at the suggested link, but I'm still a bit confused.

a) Does a starter edition account allow me to upload my updates to the IS server for all time, or is there a trial period?
b) How do my users tell my program to go and search for updates? Or do is this where buying the next version comes in?

I'd like to use this Starter Edition account, but I'm a bit wary of using anything that is apparently "free". Cynical I know. You've got case studies - can't we have a case study for a Starter Edition account? Chances are that we'll upgrade eventually anyway,

Michelle.

abdulla
08-03-2004, 05:07 AM
I too would like this clarification - Installshield Express X's new feature informing Users of Updates is great - though I feel that the Starter Edition of the Update Service which comes with InstallShield Express X only permit this i.e. posting messages and giving users a download link to one's own website. A Clarification would be great!

Downloading of Updates from the Installshield Servers would require the Professional Version of the Update Service but I cannot seen to find any indication of the charges for this service??

Also the InstallShield Express X under Organize your Setup - Update Service - Update Check Interval talks of using the Update Service Agent and sample code etc - Where can I find this API SDK or code to integrate the Update Service Agent with my application?

Mahmud Abdulla

Chris Woerner
08-03-2004, 10:25 AM
Here are a couple of points that may help to clarify:

1. When does the "check for updates" happen?

Starter Edition: user has a desktop tool called the Update Manager to run the check for updates. user can elect to set this tool to run on a schedule or only run manually (or never).

Professional Edition: you can build API calls from your application to perform the check for updates. In this way, you control when and how often the check happens.

2. What happens when an update is availabile?

Starter Edition: user will see a description of the update in the Update Manager. user can elect to "get" the update. This means, the user will be taken to a URL on your website. You will need to make your updates available from this URL for the user to download. If you already post your updates to your website, you would just use your existing URL of the download location.

Professional Edition: the Update Service has APIs that allow you to control if the update is downloaded and/or installed. If you elect to use the standard Update Service UI, the user can elect to download or install the update. In this case, the Update Service will automatically download the file and optionally run the installation. The user won't have to go to your website to get the update.

NOTE: Even with the Professional edition, InstallShield does not host your download files. The Update Service will contain the URL of where to download the files. But the files themselves need to be hosted on your server or at a hosting company.

Chris Woerner
08-03-2004, 10:29 AM
A few other clarifications:

1. The SDK for using the Update Service Agent is available if you sign-up for an Update Service Professional Edition evaluation. Remember, you cannot use the APIs as part of the starter edition.

2. The cost of the Professional Edition is related to the number of users that you will be updating. Your sales consultant can give you more information on this, but the pricing tiers are designed to fit companies who service hundreds of customers to millions of customers.

abdulla
08-04-2004, 03:02 AM
Thanks Chirs for the clarifications..

More more thing - I have signed up for the Update Service Professional Edition evaluation - where do I find the sdk for downloading...

Regards
Mahmud Abdulla

Chris Woerner
08-04-2004, 10:24 AM
After you login to the Publisher website.... there is a link on the home page.

MushyPeas
08-10-2004, 05:55 PM
Thank you, that has cleared up a few issues. Unfortunately, I've still not been able to get my product to register correctly - when I run a test install the program says it's going to search for updates, then reports that the product is not registered. Starting to give up on what looked like a fantastic feature!

Chris Woerner
08-10-2004, 06:51 PM
Have you seen this KB? It may help.

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q105921

MushyPeas
08-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Thanks, I'll give those solutions a go.